Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto to manual problems - need help urgently

VRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 6-Speed
hey everyone, finally did my manual conversion.. after alot of headaches the gearbox is finally in.. but now it wont start..

we found out the problem is the spark pick up thing.. its a sensor that goes into a hole in the automatic bell housing, and picks up a point on the flywheel and tells the coil when to spark??? thats what ive been told.

my problem is that there is no point on the manual bell housing for the sensor to slide into.

to get around this can i change my ignition setup the the electronic dizzy off a blue motor? cause i really dont want to pull my gearbox out again it was hard enough putting it in.

if so - what are the steps involved in changing from the EST to the electronic dizzy.. is it as simple as unbolting the est dizzy and bolting in an electronic one?

any help appreciated. thanks

Last edited:

Dose Pipe

Reaction score
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
i got an electric dizi here and can put it in, but ive used enough fuel going to and from urs :p so ill bring it next weekend unless you want it done before then

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
how the hell does the manual system work normally if there isnt a point for it to go in then????

You need to find out how the manaul motor works then follow that! do you have a manual?

Sorry, i have no ideas about how VK's work...

aZk.

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
not sure if it would be the same sorta thing (prolly not) but i converted my efi auto to a manny tranny and theres sposed to be a wire going to the auto box to tell the computer something but as the manual dont have it we just threw it on the starter motor and it started first go, no dramas (except for sum doofus forgot to put a hose clamp on the fuel line :bang: haha)
im sure me bro's about to prove me wrong :p

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
not sure if it would be the same sorta thing (prolly not) but i converted my efi auto to a manny tranny and theres sposed to be a wire going to the auto box to tell the computer something but as the manual dont have it we just threw it on the starter motor and it started first go, no dramas (except for sum doofus forgot to put a hose clamp on the fuel line :bang: haha)
im sure me bro's about to prove me wrong :p

ur a ******** :p The wire we connected to the starter was the neautral safety switch.....the wire ur thinkin of wasn't even in ur car.....it was my wags u saw that on lol....and it's like a crank angle sensor thing I rekon....just bullshiit for the EST :p

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 'S' Pack '03
When I done this, I had the same problem.
All I done was drill a hole into the housing.
However this was done when the gearbox was out of the car to make sure it was in the right position.
Do you also have a flywheel with the 3 pins in it? It was difficult to find one for me.

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
yep, theres no probs in doing that, asfar as i know you just have to bypass the est crap, ooh and hook up ur vacuum advance

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
just bolt up the electric dizzy man saves big headaches