Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

livecommodores

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
Whats the cheapest place to get a ve commodore timing chain fixed? And what have people been qouted and where?

livecommodores

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
Took it to a holden dealer. they qouted $3200. rang up some other holder dealers around nsw, wollongong holden said $1800. Big difference

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Good local mechanic should do it cheaper than Holden

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Last edited:

livecommodores

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
yeah i rang up like 10 local mechanics every single 1 said they wouldnt touch it to big of a job.

The_Monk

[DFCTVE]
Reaction score
Website
www.teamdefecticon.com
Members Ride
VR Calais/Vr Stato/80 Series Cruiser
Have done heaps of these things, they aren't a hard job. Just a very fiddly one and very time consuming.

I wouldn't want someone that hasn't done it before touching it either.

If you're in VIC I know a good place to get it done.

livecommodores

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve berlina
Have done heaps of these things, they aren't a hard job. Just a very fiddly one and very time consuming.

I wouldn't want someone that hasn't done it before touching it either.

If you're in VIC I know a good place to get it done.

Do u know if any ve commodore timing chains have ever snaped or they only ever stretch? Mines stretched and been driving it for like 9 months like it with the light coming on each time i start the car i just click the button in each time to cancel it off the screen. The car runs fine no noises, but does have a lack of power because when the engine light comes on it reduces the power but its still driveable. Do u think i should fix it or just leave it whats your opinion? if they dont snap you could probably drive it around for the next 10 years like it. And whats the worst that could happen if it does snap.

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Do u know if any ve commodore timing chains have ever snaped or they only ever stretch? Mines stretched and been driving it for like 9 months like it with the light coming on each time i start the car i just click the button in each time to cancel it off the screen. The car runs fine no noises, but does have a lack of power because when the engine light comes on it reduces the power but its still driveable. Do u think i should fix it or just leave it whats your opinion? if they dont snap you could probably drive it around for the next 10 years like it. And whats the worst that could happen if it does snap.

If they do snap, you might be ok but dont hold me to it, usually when the timing lets go you do piston to valve damage but im not sure with the VE, i do know that in VZ this is a very common thing tho. I would get it fixed because its to much of a hassle if it snaps, might get shards of metal in the wrong place ..