Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY.10 SV6 Timing Chain P0008

toolbag92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
Hi all, My 2010 VE sv6 ute with 95,000km on the clock has been logging P0008 and engine light is on. Also noticed massive loss of power moments before engine light comes on (possible limp mode?). Tried clearing codes but problem comes back usually a day or two later. Just wondering if anyone with the SIDI/LLT has had their chains replaced as it seems the timing chain problem only occurs with the earlier Alloytec VZ - VE???

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
possibly not timing chain , as by that stage the issue was rectified , blocked cats ?? , Oxygen sensors ?? .

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6

toolbag92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
Out of warranty unfortunately. Sudden loss of power and check engine light again today. Time to see the dealer I think. If it does end up being chains I may be the first of many to come. Yay

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
Warranty is a funny thing. All consumers are covered under the law to be of acceptable standard and to last and appropriate amount of time depending of the quality and value of the product.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Gregory's has P0008 - Engine Position System Performance - Bank 1. Guess that's pretty much the same, just specifies Bank 1.
Anyway, found this page that lists the 3.6L LLT engine as having a service bulletin for chains... Not that I've heard of it on the VEs, might be more for other GM applications. P0008 Engine Positions System Performance Bank 1 But it does make me wonder if there's a software update (if it is the chains) like there is for the Alloytec. Might be worth swapping the cam position sensors to see if it changes to P0009 (Bank 2) to test that thought??

toolbag92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Maloo
Good idea! I have a general idea where the sensors are but not sure exactly which one is which. There is about four on the front of each bank. Also any ideas what the sudden loss of power is moments before the engine light comes on? When in second gear for example, pedal to the floor the engine is unusually loud but the car just doesn't want to go??? Not sure if this is limp mode or not. Thanks for the replies so far

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Alright, if you want to try swapping camshaft position sensors over they're the two at the top on the front of each bank. 3 wires go to each sensor. I don't have a pic, so I'll list the wire colours for them.

Left Hand Intake - Grey, Yellow/Red stripe and Pink/Black stripe
Left Hand Exhaust - Grey, Purple and Pink/Black stripe
Right Hand Intake - Grey, Orange/Blue stripe and Pink/Black stripe
Right Hand Exhaust - Grey, Green and Pink/Black stripe

As for the loss of power, I'd say limp mode is a good guess. I've never had it happen to me, so I have no idea what it feels like. So my guess is no better than yours really.