Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Evenin All! Well i have about 7000 kms on the beast now and just noticed the other day that i get a lifter rattle like sound from the engine when starting it up from cold. It only does it on the first start up of the day and it only lasts maybe 20 seconds and i don't hear it again all day. A mate has an 09 non-AFM VE and he reckons his does it too. So whats going on? Do the rest of you have this issue as well?
Cheers
Bill

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Sure it's lifter rattle? Mine had a power steering pulley that was out of alignment and was whipping something around against the serpentine belt. Had the pulley replaced and no more dramas - thing is, it sounded metallic rather than belt - confused the hell out of me! But like you said - only happened from cold start and stopped quickly as soon as there was any heat in it.
Good luck.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Sounds like it's just the oil taking a few seconds to pump up to the top of the engine. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
Same same re my 08 SSV...cold start, some form of rattle for about 10sec then fine afterwards. Sound appears to come from left hand side of car, but you never know. Appears to be a common issue with the VE V8's from other posts I've seen.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I know when my old VH 5Ltr use to rattle on start up the guy at mechanic told me that it could be either a dodgy oil filter and it could be letting the oil run back through the filter during the night or to try a small filter not sure if this info can be translated to newer engines but i replaced the filter and oil and knock went away on start up.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Yuh VE sounds just like yours only not as harsh, and it takes probably 30 seconds after start up for it to start rattling. This is why i wasn't 100% sure it was a lifetr as usually they start rattling right after startup. I'm gonna look further and see if its something like what Tinsnips is saying, if it ain't then its the long drive to the Holden dealers for conversation. I just don't want to hear the old "they all do that" or "it didn't do it while we had it" blah blah blah.
Thanks for the replies guys
OD

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
what sort of filter is on it not a ryco is it

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Couldn't say, it hasn't had an oil change yet so its what ever holden fits from new. Whats wrong with Ryco, i thought they were a good brand?
Cheers
OD

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
theres been lots of problems with ryco of late with oil drianing back out past the antidrain back valve it has been turning round on itself and not sealing ive had 2 do it myself we wondered why when we did an oil change no oil was in the filter it had all drained back to the sump so on startup theres no oil till the pump fills and the filter and all the engine i no longer use ryco :D