Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS S2 sportwagon "clunk" when cold

bennypage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
Hi guys I'm new here so please be gentle :)

I have a 3 month old SS sportwagon S2 and when ever the vehicle is cold or not driven for around an hour or two I get this noise when accelerating through about 30km/h. The noise is hard to explain, it is like a faint "clunk" and for some reason you can feel it through the accelerator pedal like it's coming from under the car or definitely from the front. It does not appear to be a gear change as it's in between, auto tranny and in drive. Sometimes if I pull out of the drive way and go slowly up the road after the first noise if I slow down and re accelerate through 30km/h it will go again, but that's it for the rest of the trip.

I have had cars like a Mitsubishi 380 that do something similar but it was more of a longer noise that was staggered like a pump going through a few cycles. This car also did it when cold and accelerating through about 20km/h.

Everything seems fine with the SS. No other dramas.

Has this happened to anyone else or do you know what it is?

Thanks
Benny :)

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
It's the ABS self test. And that's very accurate description, it is supposed to happen once you reach 30 kmh for the first time after start up.

You won't get it in a BMW, it's just another brilliant design "feature" by Holden.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
yep, all normal.

i think it actually happens just before 30... about 28-29km/h.
a faint click, just once.... then nothing else for the rest of the trip.
you wont hear it if radio is on, but its noticable if everything is quiet.

i knew it had something to do with a safety feature, but I thought it was something to do with airbags being turned on or something (ie they dont activate below a certain speed).

bennypage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
Thanks guys I feel a bit more comfortable now!

So Holden has one up on BMW? :)

metalfossil

Reaction score
haha.. that's one way of reading into that! Yes, Holden has more clunks than BMW has.

....c'mon guys. I would never feel comfortable with a Holden that didn't make some sort of clunking noise:rofl2: