Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 SIDI Intake fun - Airhammer, Growler

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
Hey guys,

I have had a growler intake on my SV6 SIDI for a couple of weeks now, i do like it, but it doesnt really get a massive induction roar like i have had on my previous cars.

So i decided to buy an Airhammer intake and see what that was like, when i bought i knew it would not bolt straight in because of the MAF on the SIDI motor being in bolted in the same mould as the airbox housing.

Because i already have the Growler Intake fitted with the MAF Adaptor suited for the SIDI Motor i thought well why not just put half the Airhammer in (The pipe from the Throttle Body to the MAF Sensor) and leave the Growler box in to see what it was like.

It was bit of a tight fit to bolt on as the airhammer pipe was just too short to fit the growler box - luckily i kept some silicone hoses from my previous intakes on cars and had a longer one lying around

It was awesome the induction sound is really loud and throaty and sounds really good for a 6.
Its also picked up in response so im really happy there seems to be much better at light throttle acceleration (making the car more driveable)

When i get back from my holiday i will post up some pics, and i will try the full Airhammer set up and see how it goes.
:surprise:

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I must be getting old.

I doubt there is any "response" improvement, but whatever makes you happy.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Yeah me too

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
ive always been a fan of the airhammer, it's plenty for a 6, but yeah give us some pics.

bazwell

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SIDI sv6 S1 ute in phantom
I dont know if this has been covered before, but does anybody know the best way to fit the airhammer to the sidi sv6, with regards to the maf sensor? I want to buy one but dont want to waste my money if I cant make it work easily..
Cheers

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
I dont know if this has been covered before, but does anybody know the best way to fit the airhammer to the sidi sv6, with regards to the maf sensor? I want to buy one but dont want to waste my money if I cant make it work easily..
Cheers

if you can find yourself some pipe thats 4"(102mm) diameter its perfect cut it about 6" long (150mm) just drill a little hole about 20mm diameter and the MAF Sensor should go straight in.

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
Hey guys

Just bolted up the Airhammer intake as the full kit to try, I had to make up the MAF pipe with some PVC pipe we had lying around which has actually worked out perfectly it looks like it was made for the car with a gloss black top coat.

I bolted it all up and took it for a drive, i actually was disappointed, i thought it would be louder the Growler/Airhammer setup however it was much quieter and made the car sound very ordinary, i went for a drive for about 30 mins, and it didnt feel any different to the Growler/Airhammer combo, the main difference was that there was no bark when you give it a rev.

So i went home and bolted the Growler box back in with the Airhammer pipe, i improved it a bit because i wanted it to fit up better,

am798g.jpg

As you can see in the photo there are 2 Silicone hoses side by side to each other - this was where the extra length is needed,

So all i did was Cut some PVC pipe again at about 50mm long (Just enough for the clamps to clamp the pipes properly and create a smooth inside for the air to flow better).

Now its all fitted really well, No rattles or unusual sounds, its still easy to service the Pod filter in the Growler box and it sounds awesome!

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Does the growler come with an intake pipe like the airhammer?????