Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Second hand VE - Looks like resprayed?

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V, V8, 6 Speed Manual
hey all,
had my Black VE SSV for just 1 month and i have notice that when i open up the driver and front passenger door, if i look in where the hinges are i can see the edge of the front quarter panels and they appear to be mostly white but "peppered" black.
does this sound normal? or like the car has had a respray or front end rebuild?

any other black VE owners able to check to see if its the same on their cars?

car runs like a dream no mechanical issues, but would be curious as to whether its had a slap in the front previously.

ill take a pic of the white peppered area to clarify what it is i am talking about.
thanks,

Timmo

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
i reckon its normal, my silver ute was like that and that was new

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i reckon its normal, my silver ute was like that and that was new

umm.... sorry mate i have to disagree. definitely not normal.

there's a series of videos that ive seen somewhere on this website that shows the VE production process from Holden.
it's a facinating series of videos showing basically how the car is made.

anyway, the car colour is painted inside and out well before its all put together... so everything is the same colour (door hinges, door frames, inside the boot and engine bay, everywhere... all the same).
the whole thing is sprayed on a rotisiere from all sides (makes sence from a rust protection and quality control point of view).

so no, if you can see white when the rest of your car is black, its definitely not normal.
best way to double check is to look at the screws/bolts holding that panel in place when you lift the bonnet.
if they havent been touched from factory, all the corners of the bolts are perfect- no stripping or deformation of any kind from the panel beaters rachet set tightening them up. there's no way to tighten a bolt without scratching it or deforming it a little. some panel beaters try to cover these marks by spray painting the bolts themselves to make it look neat, but then thats a dead giveaway because factory bolts arent painted at all.

it's no big deal if its been repaired and resprayed, and if the only way you've noticed it is to look at the door hinges means its a quality job.
and hey, if youre that worried, you could always touch up that area yourself.

but no... definitely not normal, because thats not how VE's are made. wish i had the links to those videos to show you.

show us some pics from different angles, lets try and see how much has been changed.
if you really want to know that is :).

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
i think the OP means behind the front quater panels so it wouldn't be sprayed in car colour,anyway there is supposed to be a foam filler piece in there. If the front quarter panel was replaced it would of been resprayed properly off the car, but when the panel is on the car on the line the robot can't get all the small areas where primer is only required.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i think the OP means behind the front quater panels so it wouldn't be sprayed in car colour,anyway there is supposed to be a foam filler piece in there. If the front quarter panel was replaced it would of been resprayed properly off the car, but when the panel is on the car on the line the robot can't get all the small areas where primer is only required.

found them!

The series is called "Steel to Road - Building Holden Commodore"

Steel to Road - Building Holden Commodore (Part 2 Body & Paint Shop) - YouTube

The above link is part 2... about half through it'll show the paint process.
No way you should see white on a black car.
Those robots are amazing!

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
found them!

The series is called "Steel to Road - Building Holden Commodore"

Steel to Road - Building Holden Commodore (Part 2 Body & Paint Shop) - YouTube

The above link is part 2... about half through it'll show the paint process.
No way you should see white on a black car.
Those robots are amazing!

ahhh, read the OP problem and the video just shows the quarter panel on, hows a robot suposed to spray behind the quarter panel?, the white would be the rustproofing/primer

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
ill take a pic now and put it up so you can see what i mean
thanks for the prompt replies also!

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
My nephew's brand new VE SS ute had issues with an area around the hinges not being painted properly, they removed the door and repainted the area around the hinges and re-hung the door. He noticed it shortly after taking delivery.

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
IMG_0511red.jpg

this is what i mean, it shows up really white in the photo but it is dusted/peppered black.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
nope
all good
i got brand new sv6 and it's the same