Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roll guards

ned

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve ss
I want to get some ether 19 or 20 inch wheels for my ss, its been lowerd, not by me. Will the gards need to b rolled so they dont scrape

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your screen name says VT but your ride says VE, so which car do you own?

For VE no you dont need to get the guards rolled.

For VT, Ive got 20s on mine and had to roll the guards.

ned

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve ss
had a vt when 1st started talking on this site, had a vz to, now ss ve, and thats good to no

WallyBasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Don't have to roll the guards on a VE unless you go bigger then 245 tyre. I'm running 275 on the back of mine and had to get the guards rolled.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Don't have to roll the guards on a VE unless you go bigger then 245 tyre. I'm running 275 on the back of mine and had to get the guards rolled.

It depends on your offset.

I've got 275's x 20 inch on the back of mine, lowered on SSSL's. Not rolled and no scrapes.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
same here,not rolled, 20x10,275 tyres,ssl springs on my ute. might get a slight kiss on the inside of the tyre/guard occasionly when i go over a bump but thats it. like davey said it depends on offset, in my case 51 offset on the rear (speedy cheetahs)

WallyBasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
20x10.5's here. 48 offset. Told them to roll the guards, they didn't. Back the next day for a new rim and tyre as it was scratched to hell. Running ssl all round. But the choice is yours, never had the guard hit when hitting a bump. Used to have that issue all the time in my old vn running 235's and non rolled guards lol.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
^^ That's a massive back rim! What size tyres are you running?

*EDIT*

Oh ok, just noticed you said you had 275's. Seems too narrow for a 10.5 in rim. I've got 275's on my 9.5 in rims!

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
I have Speedy Cheetahs 20x10 (offset is 51) with 275's. They were fine on smooth city roads but used to rub a fair bit with a load in boot and on undulating country roads so I had the guards rolled.

The rubbing actually originally got worse as the km's on the car got up around 60,000. These cars have a lot of play and movement in the rear suspension and I think it increases as bushes etc age. Not sure but could be the explanation.. Anyway its all ok since the guards were rolled.

Also different brands of tyre are actually wider at the wall. Not all 275's are the same.