Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Maximum rear tyre width without modifying guards

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
As the title says, i'm looking at putting some 265 rears on the SS when i purchase new wheels shortly. Do the 265's fit without having to roll the lip on the guards, if so, what's the cost for getting them rolled?

K-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Depends on the offset. Hsv wheels are 275 and they will fit no worries.

Bazza

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 HSV Clubsport Z
I had some 275 20's on my old VE SSV Ute, yes it just depends on the offset.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Yep, I agree about the offset. I have 245's that scrub

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
i'll keep that in mind before i order wheels. It will look nice sitting on some nice 275 20's I did notice that the tyre and wheel packages are getting cheaper.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
to give you an idea hunter i run 20x10 speedy cheetahs on the arse with 275 tyres, the offset is 51, HSV are 20x 9.5 and normally about a 48 offset. most 20x8.5 rims (for commodores) have a 45 offset. the higher the offset number the more negative the offset, the lower the number, the more positive the offset. pos o/set will bring you closer to the guard lip as the rim has a deeper dish in relation to the wheel centre. you might know all this but thought i'd mention it anyway.

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
.....pos o/set will bring you closer to the guard lip as the rim has a deeper dish in relation to the wheel centre. you might know all this but thought i'd mention it anyway.

Actually it's the other way around. More positive offset will bring your wheels further inward, away from the guard. Offset is a measure of the hub facing distance from the center of the wheel.

As a random example I currently have 8.5" -21offset wheels for my ae86 that just fit under the rear guards. Anything higher than a +25 (even narrow 6-7" wheels) will probably rub on the inside of the wheel tub, or strut tower at the front.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
Actually it's the other way around. More positive offset will bring your wheels further inward, away from the guard. Offset is a measure of the hub facing distance from the center of the wheel.

As a random example I currently have 8.5" -21offset wheels for my ae86 that just fit under the rear guards. Anything higher than a +25 (even narrow 6-7" wheels) will probably rub on the inside of the wheel tub, or strut tower at the front.
yes your absolutely right there, stupid old fart brain of mine! lol

Bazza

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 HSV Clubsport Z
I found an old side shot of my Ute so you can see how with the right offset 275's fit nicely;

BARONSUTE002.jpg

Last edited:

Bazza

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 HSV Clubsport Z
OK now after many hours of practice See above photo attached properly:beer chug: