Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Filter Location VE

grantisaac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX11
Can Anyone tell me where the oil filter is located on the VE V6 Thanks.Also do you need any special tools to change

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
the alloytecs use a cartridge filter that can be purchased from holden and includes the o ring needed
the only tools needed are a 21mm socket(i think i just grab the socket without looking) and ratchet or breaker bar and extension if you want it, small flat bladed screwdriver and your hands

to change filter
pull the right hand cover off the engine (the one with the oil filler, just pulls up)

grab the socket and breaker bar or ratchet and undo the the cover that holds the filter in place (looks like a cylinder with a nut casted into the top of it, (also has 'tighten 24nm' written on it))

pull the old filter out, and o ring with the screw driver from the cover

replace the o ring and filter

replace the cover and filter assembly and tighten until firm

replace the engine cover

the engine also takes 7lt of oil if your changing, hopes this helps, ive done it a fare few times

grantisaac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX11
Many Thanks for the info.I have been trying to find a workshop manual for VZ Ve with the alloytech but have had no luck.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
not a problem at all, btw you want see any books on the shelves for a few years yet, holden will want to make there money on the cars in services before they release all there secrets, i think i read somewhere they only release info after the cars are out of warrenty

dan-0

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ SS 6.0Ltr
FYO, I use Repco oil filter instead of holden - cheaper

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
youll find that some dealers buy them in bulk so they'll resell them cheaper, a mate of mine that i work with buys them from holden as they are close half the price of buying from repco etc, look into it and you'll be surprised

fish475

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just got Hx7 10-30 Syn oil and Ryco filter and thanks to Andyman I will be doing the oil & filter change tomorrow morning.

Question, when the metal oil filter is undone, does oil fall out eveywhere like an eb falcon does or has the bulk of the oil fallen back into motor with gravity.

Thanks,

Garry

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
pull the right hand cover off the engine (the one with the oil filler, just pulls up)

Think you'll find the oil filter actually on the left hand side of the engine. When standing looking at the engine it is on your right side.

I'd take it easy if using a 'breaker bar' as suggested, it might be a bit too much power - particularly when doing it back up. Don't overtighten.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Think you'll find the oil filter actually on the left hand side of the engine. When standing looking at the engine it is on your right side.

I'd take it easy if using a 'breaker bar' as suggested, it might be a bit too much power - particularly when doing it back up. Don't overtighten.

its not the breaker bar that does damage, its the weapon using it