Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Low cost cold air intake for VE 8cyl

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi all,

picked up a really good CAI for $279 on ebay at

COLD AIR INTAKE KIT VE WITH GEN 4 OR LS2 NEW - eBay VT, VX, VY, Holden, Car Parts, Cars, Bikes Boats. (end time 23-Sep-07 22:18:34 AEST)

My only critisism is that it didn't come with the vacuum hose (no big deal - any speed shop sells it)

The other thing I did with mine is make up a mild steel bracked to go from one of the mounting bolts for the origional airbox across to the CAI using a clamps and rubber ring from the origional air box. This stopped it from rattling behind the driving light.

From there I made a black plastic triangular scoop that is mounted under the car to force air through 3 holes in the under body plastic below the pod filter.

Works a treat!

Let me know if anyone would like me to post pics.

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
sure, give us a look!

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
shots of CAI

Here are three shots of the CAI.

Notice the bracket I made up to stop it rattling in front of wheel arch, and the air scoop under the car to force cold air to the pod filter.

Attachments

• CAI.jpg
    CAI.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 904
  • CAI-air-scoop.jpg
    CAI-air-scoop.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,789
  • CAI-bracket.jpg
    CAI-bracket.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,748
Last edited:

mov

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V IGNITION
looks good! what did you do with the vacuum hose fitting that is normally near the inlet? Also the 'ram' you created will get air but won't collect water up into the pod....like it.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
There is a pipe on the back of the polished tubing... but I had to buy some more vacuum line, and replace the old piece. It's easy to get to the other end... simply unclip the plastic engine cover and the slide off the hose.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Very good setup, been investigating for CAI for VE SS, and this one looks neat.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Took a bit of work to get it where it is... bracket fabrication, painting etc... but according to performance shop here in SA, most of the CAIs with pod filter don't have any mounting bracket, and simply bang around behind driving lights. Not good enough!

The air scoop and holes made a noticable difference too... otherwise all of the air it's taking in has come through the radiator. Defeats the purpose of CAI!

One thing the guy did say that made a lot of sense... some of the ones they are trying now have hard plastic tubing instead of aluminium. The polished pipe looks great, but it gets hot when the car is stationary, whereas the plastic type has insulation properties.

If I was doing it again I would look into it; but I'm pretty happy with what I've got for the money.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Good set up, but the only drama you may have is the fact that the pod isn't enclosed which is actually illegal. Not in WA though I don't think.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
REALLY? what do you mean not enclosed? It's under the bonnet.... and no less enclosed than a standard fliter on a car with a carby?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You need to box it in. The air filter has to have a fully enclosed surrounding. I think it is more to do with noise than anything else.