Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle from caliper since pad change

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Afternoon All,
I changed the rotors and pads last weekend, all went smoothly as expected although since then I have had what can only be described as an annoying rattle from the caliper which I have put down to the springs holding the pads in place. This really only seems to be potholes which anyone living in Adelaide can vouch for they are absolutely everywhere!

I have attached a couple of pics which I believe to be the culprits and wondering whether there is anything special that has to be done to them to prevent them from rattling around?

Thanks

Cheers
Darren

Attachments

• VE_Caliper1.jpg
    VE_Caliper1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,511
  • VE_Caliper2.jpg
    VE_Caliper2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,490

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Not sure with VE's but the whole point of that spring is to stop the pad ratteling when not braking... just make sure it is inserted correctly. Take a look at the other side to compare maybe.

aZk.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
did the factory pads have shims on them? sometimes you have to pry them off

Abrowne70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2, VL 5sp Berlina Wagon
i know you probably did, but did you do the bolts that, hold the caliper on, up tight.

And yes the potholes all over adelaide are terrible, always make you think something could be loose with your car.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Spoke to my dealer about just this issue.

Apparently, like the clutch issue, Holden are working on a fix.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Bolts are nice and tight, I left wheel nuts a little loose when I was younger (need I say more), the same rules applies for caliper bolts in my book now, you learn by your mistakes hehe.

I didn't notice this until changing the rotors / pads, pads aren't back to front as they are identical.

I've taken the spring clips out and bent it a little so we'll see how it goes otherwise I'll go to my closest brake joint, not really sure Holden will be happy me taking the car back since pads / rotors have been changed and I wouldn't blame them.

Worst case scenario I'll get some new spring clips, heck they would hardly break the bank given what they are.

Cheers guys

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
They would have done 30k on them, but there certainly wasn't anything wrong with them at that stage.

The stock brakes I thought were very ordinary, I did the rotors and brakes in the VY as well so I guess I was used to decent braking.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
They would have done 30k on them, but there certainly wasn't anything wrong with them at that stage.

The stock brakes I thought were very ordinary, I did the rotors and brakes in the VY as well so I guess I was used to decent braking.

One thing i will say for the stock VE pads is they're very durable. I've seen cars with 75,000km+ on the clock and the pads and discs are look practically brand new