Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rebuilt motor blown head gasket

aussie_macca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Road trawling paddock bomb = moody VL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ive done a few searches but couldnt find anything relevant to what im looking for...right this second im a bit shattered to be honest....i bought a vl turbo about a month ago with a rebuilt motor with receipts....its been running really smooth and nice and cool the hole time...i honestly havent been giving it a hard time...and then all of a sudden my temp guage started shooting up and i had only been cruising at 60kmph on my way home and when i looked at the water level it was right down even though i only checked it before i left and then i saw a thick white sludge coming out of the catch can and took the oil cap off and it was full of thick white sludge as well...the oil on the dipstick is clean as a whistle but im certain its a blown head gasket....my question is how the hell does a gasket just blow out of nowhere on a rebuilt motor with a race series turbo connetec head gasket.....any help would be very very much appreciated cos at the moment im kinda shattered that a car with 5000km on the motor has done this. thanks. josh

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
**** head gasket, or not put in properly.... too much boost... could be a few factors.
Hope it just your gasket and not a cracked head causing oil and water to mix and make a milky residue..

aussie_macca

Reaction score
Members Ride
well its only been runnning 8pnd boost.....so if i have a thick white sludge in the catch can and on my finger if i feel inside the oil cap i have a cracked head?.....and if it was a **** gasket or not in properly would that be something the engine builder had stuffed up along the way somewhere?

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
possibly man yeah.... as u said the water was down and with the design of the vl front end the head sits higher than the radiator,,
so if u get low on water the head is drained first.. and being an alloy head prone to cracking.
Hoping for your sake its just a head gasket..
Best is pull head off and inspect.
Get a new gasket and put it on.

aussie_macca

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah cheers mate, like i said i checked it before i left cos i was driving from rosebud to ballarat so i thought id best check the oil and water and they were both full, it drove fine for the first 30 min then all of a sudden the temp gauge shot up so i checked the water and it was almost empty....the bastard got me by suprise

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
You have probably cracked your head as well..Alloy heads don't like the heat. From memory it cost me $400 to have my head welded up like 10 years ago..

aussie_macca

Reaction score
Members Ride
so if i have cracked the head does anybody know a rough idea on what i would be up for? im just hoping i can get my way out of this for under a grand if not ill have to flog the car off cos ive been putting a fair bit of cash into it already and the reserve funds are running a bit tight

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
yes genuine are good.

i had similar problem with my motor i used an acl race series 1.6mm thick copper head gasket and mine leaked didnt blow it but seaped water into motor.the cause was because my block was not "o"ringd so i used 2 standard head gaskets and its all sweet now

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
depends on the head u have already bruz
like has it been shaved/ported polished etc for performance in the rebuild,,,
you might pick one up for $500 and do it yourself...
really depends where u get it from and condition..