Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vl Under-bonnet Mods where 2 start ?

sando_3000

Prestige Panelbeater
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Berlina 5.0
Hey Ppl,

It's come 2 the stage in my Vl's life in which she could do with sum under bonnet mods but i dunno wat 2 start with. n e tips ? much appericiated :)

Cheers Sando.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Whats your budget?

extractors, 2.25" or 2.5 inch exhaust.
advance timing.
K&N panel filter.
Cold air intake.

Or do you mean shaving, balancing, boring etc etc etc.

sando_3000

Prestige Panelbeater
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Berlina 5.0
Ummm i'm looking at about $3,500 budjet yeah most likely i'd go 4 the Exhaust n cold air intake an filter i'v herd around the place that an Rb30 to RB26 Head Swap over is also a good option wat do u think bextor ?

Cheers Sando.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
rb25 would be the way to go i'd say, alot cheaper to pick up then the rb26 head and you'll hardly notice a difference i don't think.

if thats your plan i'd be keeping whatever you've got stock now and researching what you want, figure it out, get what you need, get it done, then do everything else afterwards.. your exhaust etc.

sando_3000

Prestige Panelbeater
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Berlina 5.0
Yeah Cheers Boxter thats given me sum ideas thanks mate

dan_man31

now projecting oh yeah :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ss-v 6spd ute
here we go

mate if u got the spare paper put the best i heard that u can get a supercharger for cheap $$$$ turbo's are crap also go wit the exhaust options the pod filters also is your car a manual or an auto cause manuals will also give your commodore some boot and get the in car options also like 5 1/2 inch tacho and the clear white dials u recommended for my car would make it look mint thanks also u could get like 3 1/2 inch exhaust with extractors and such cool tell us how it goes

dan :drink:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
dan_man31 said:
mate if u got the spare paper put the best i heard that u can get a supercharger for cheap $$$$ turbo's are crap also go wit the exhaust options the pod filters also is your car a manual or an auto cause manuals will also give your commodore some boot and get the in car options also like 5 1/2 inch tacho and the clear white dials u recommended for my car would make it look mint thanks also u could get like 3 1/2 inch exhaust with extractors and such cool tell us how it goes

dan :drink:

And I'd ignore that post completely.. Burn it from your mind forever.

Edit, Sorry: I'll elaborate.

Superchargers are cheap, but theres not too much room for upgrading down the track, apart from a bigger pulley and a front mount, injectors etc. Compared to a turbo, where you can upgrade turbo, more boost with much less hassle then getting a larger pulley made up. The turbo will last longer, and its not that much more expensive. Oh and it won't run out of puff as much.

Secondly, why do you say turbo's suck? I won't say any more until I hear why your saying they suck.

Thirdly, 14" Tacho? Why? Do we even know if this guys car is auto or manual? Even if it is manual why do you need to waste a huge amount of money on a tacho that you already have on the dash? - And if not, why not go a stock dash for alot cheaper. Then white dials? I guess thats all personal preference, but yeah.. Eww...

And last but not least, 3 and a half inch exhaust.. Thats even rather large for a turbo thats spitting out so much more air.. Oh it'd sound terrible, I really hope your post was a G up, because I'm honestly scared that there's people doing this too cars and recommending it to others.

Have another drink mate.. :drink:

Last edited:

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
i have to agree with bextor on that post......also, turbo's don't drag the engine....they run on exhust gasses instead of on the front pulley, which also goes with the basic way of modifying.......more air in + more exhust out = faster car.......basically

VLACS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
so what ur saying is i should just get for example - extractors, exhaust, a pod filter and perhaps some cold air in there. i dont plan on putting in a turbo cos of financial issues so would it be worth going furhter than this

sando_3000

Prestige Panelbeater
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Berlina 5.0
yeah bextor i kno wat u mean bout the 3 1/2 inch pipes there way too big n yeah i agree with u about the turbo upposed 2 the charger in the way of a turbo wat do u think of the Ceramic Y2K Ball bearing Turbo's ? they dont seem bad from wat i've read

Cheers Sando.