Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering column bearing

Munromad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hi all,

Discovered another issue with a VN SS that I recently bought.

I'm slowly working my way through the car tidying it up and fixing all the little issues that have arisen and I've found an issue with the steering column.

As most of you would know, the central shaft of the steering column is the earth path for the indicators and for the horn.

The shaft is grounded to the outer metal surround of the steering column (and hence the body of the car) though the bearing inside the shaft.

Well it appears that the bearing has lost it's balls or has collapsed in some way. This means the steering shaft no longer provides an earth path for the horn or indicators.

I have another SS for spare parts but I'm not too keep on ripping out two steering columns to swap them over. Seems like a pain in the bum.

Anyone got any ideas to easily solve this problem? Are these bearings replaceable. If they are I'll just pull out the one column and fix it.

Is it actually a bearing? I am only shining a torch down the shaft and it appears that it may be.

Thanks in advance.
Darren

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Cant comment on the bearings, but the steering column is easier to remove than you would think!

Disconnect wiring - ignition switch, horn, indicator stalk.
Remove lower intermediate shaft clamp bolt at the steering rack.
Remove the 3 nuts holding the column in place - two at the very front near the ignition switch and one a bit lower on the pedal box.

Done! By this stage the only thing supporting it should be your hands. Now simply pull the lot out. :)

Munromad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Sounds easy. :)

I honestly haven't had a good look at removing the column. I only figured out what the issue was this evening.

I've got most of that stuff removed already anyway.

Just the 3 bolts holding the column in place and the clamp at the steering rack left to do.

I guess there's no excuse not to swap them over now.

Thanks for your reply.

Munromad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Well I sorted it out.

It was the upper steering column bearing mount.

That's the plastic part that the blinker switch slides into.

It has a couple of brass contacts that are supposed to simultaneously touch the steering shaft and the outer part of the surround creating an earth path to the steering shaft.

With a lot of fiddling around and reshaping of these brass contacts I was finally able to get the centre shaft to earth out.

All sorted now and didn't have to remove the column.

I will go to the wreckers and grab a spare one just in case my repair fails ;-)

stevoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
s2 vt ss
More information to add to this thread which I couldn't find easily, to remove the plastic indicator assembly, and the bearing,after removing the steering wheel, remove the circlip retaining the spring on the shaft, then 2 white plastic tabs 1 on top of the shaft and 1 on bottom, pull them out which loosens the bracket, just twist and then it slides out.

SS Robster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Super6
and something else i couldnt find easily is, that u have to bend these brass contacts outwards to make contact with the steering column outer. see pic.
2013-02-04 23.11.47.jpg