Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

adding Intirior lights (maplights)to a vn, easy or hard?

Kodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
as stated, is it easy or hard to wire up map lights in a vn? as they dont have them in the front, id want to be able to turn on with the button on them like usual but they dont have any wiring for that so would it just be easier to wire them to the same light as the existing interior light so i just hit the dash button an they all come on? an to do that would it be safe to just run new wires from the center light to the front and mount a light there or would that be stupid and unsafe?

thanks,
Kodie

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
The calais interior light with map lights bolt straight in. They wire up same as your old one would. And the map lights work when you turn them on.

Kodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
is that the center light with map lights? or one that goes at the front near the rear view mirror, cause i just have the single interior light in the center that comes on with the doors, and has a switch on the dash.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
thats the interior one in the middle has the usual accent light that comes on when you open the doors, dash switch also control it. plus two map lights at the front that are controlled by their own switch.

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
The easiest option I aggree is the Calais center light which has map lights, here in Adelaide retails about $10 to $40 depending on which wrecker you get it from.

Easiest way to wire it up, is remove yours via the screws, then cut the wires one has power "orange" I think the other one is "black" ground ....then just connect them to the calais light.

When your cutting them perhaps disconnect the fuse first for interior lights, saving you any un-necessary sparks etc.

cheers.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Yes the calais interior dome light with map lights bolts straight in. Unscrew your old dome light cut the wires. There will be 2 orange wire, one with a white strip on it. Simply hook it up how the old one was and the map lights work

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Here's a lowdown on how the map lights magically work.

There's a constant 12v feed going through one of the wires (can't remember which one). When the calais dome lights screw in, one of the screws acts as a ground that screws to the roof. Then the ground is connected to the switch so when you flick it, it grounds and HEY PRESTO you have map lights.

I popped the 2 little plastic circles out to get better light coverage.

Kodie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S
awesome as, thanks guys.

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Cheers Verynice ;)

(bit of a dig haha)