Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vp berlina v6 drinking fuel

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
ive hooked the car up to efi-live pro V4, and ive got no error codes at all. im only getting 300 k's from a full tank and i dont know where to look next. can anyone help with the data if i post up some screen shots? any help would be great. oh also the o2 sensor was replaced 2000 k's ago... cheers...

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
so if theres no error codes coming up what could be using up all the fuel. injectors? transmission problem? ca nthe o2 sensor be dead and not come up as an error code?

jenner45

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series two 3.8 ute
What fuel do you use? Normal fuel gets guzzled in my vs but I get a lot more out of 98 octane

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
were talking 300 k's from the berlina versus 500+ out of my calais. same engine same everything. ive run 2 full tanks of 98 through the car in the last 2000 k's and got the same results... im going to run some injector cleaner through it and see what happens. if the injectors are anything like the state of the spark plugs when i did a tune up i bet there buggered. the plugs were so far gone it was idling like i left a couple leads unplugged...

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
so i just went down to super cheap for some injector cleaner. parked and got out of the car and was looking around sniffing. i smelled petrol so i popped the bonnet and sniffed like a blood hound and inspected all the connections.

everything looked good so i went around to the back and looked under the car and what do you know, petrol is dripping on the ground. looked like it was coming from the connections off the fuel pump assembly. bought some new hose clamps and what the hell injector cleaner too.

i jacked up the car and put it on stands and started the engine. cleaned off the gunk with a piece of scotch brite and wiggled the lines while the pump was on see if i could get it leak somewhere. no joy. i replaced the clamps and tightened the bolts to the fuel pump assembly and dumped in the injector cleaner in the tank. makes me wonder how much was being lost that i wasnt aware of....

ill post an update next week.....

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
diggin my own thread here. ok still drinking fuel..... this is my question, ive plugged it into efi live and my coolant temp sensor when the car is running hot says 98 degrees C. that dosent seem right because the engine is super hot seems like way more than 98 degrees. think there should a new coolant temp sensor in the vp's future? - or is that temp reading seem normal. any help would be appreciated...

question 2 is the "O2V" reading gauge reads 0 to 1000 (im assuming millivolts) its fluctuates from 300 to almost 1000, is that normal?

vamplestat

calais93
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS caprice
just a quick question, but how do you drive? abit of a lead foot or normalish style. and what base tune is your car useing? and when i get the chance i will check my calais tomorrow for some readouts and see if there is any real difference in the numbers you have given.

VRV694

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
98 degrees is fine,i use efilive v4 on my vr as soon as it hits 100 the thermo should cut in.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
how about the air temp? both those sensors can play havoc on fuel, although reading 98deg for coolant the ecu wouldn't be running rich as that's about normal operating temp.

mine coolant temp sits around 83-90 degrees out on the highway at 100-110km/h

Not sure if this will be much help but here's some readings from a vr v6 (close enough to a vp v6) from a 20 degree day, should show a rough correlation between coolant and manifold temps, from cold start to 95 degrees, letting the engine idle without touching the throttle to get up to temp, no cai and factory bit from the airbox to headlight removed.
Gets over 500kms per tank round town.

Coolant °CAir °Ctime M:S
18.520.80:00
47.7530.55:00
68.7530.3110:00
82.2553.7515:00
92.7562.7520:00
95.0065.7521:46

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
VR motor in my VP. Round town I'm doing well to get 300ks out of a tank. New plugs, new air cleaner, good transmission. Wish I could get better. I'll keep watching this thread 4 ideas.
Have you checked the fuel return valve at the end of the fuel rail? My daughter's VP was sucking fuel back into the engine (instead of returning it to tank) cos the vacuum vellum had a hole in it. We could smell fuel under the hood but took a while to find. Worth a look