Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr - Vs Engine loom in VP

DavoVP

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im running a VR buick in a VP with a modified memcal at the moment, Later on down the track im planning on an ecolump conversion.

I know it will run fine with the VP loom but id like to change the engine loom to vr - vs so I can have sequential injection and use the cam angle sensor and also run a VR ecu with vats disabled etc.

I remember reading somewhere that I will need to re pin the ECU plug ( A couple of wires ) but i cannot find the post. Could someone shed some light on this for me ?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
vr isn't sequential, it uses banked injection in the auto model and fires the injectors in groups of 3 which is why the cam position sensor is used in them (manual vr is exactly the same as vn/vp and fires all 6 at once) very little gain using a vr auto pcm as you'll have to mess with more than vats and convince it that it no longer has a 4l60e behind it.

complete engine, loom, ecu and trans from a vs sounds more like what you want to accomplish.

DavoVP

Reaction score
vr isn't sequential, it uses banked injection in the auto model and fires the injectors in groups of 3 which is why the cam position sensor is used in them (manual vr is exactly the same as vn/vp and fires all 6 at once) very little gain using a vr auto pcm as you'll have to mess with more than vats and convince it that it no longer has a 4l60e behind it.

complete engine, loom, ecu and trans from a vs sounds more like what you want to accomplish.

Interesting I was under the impression that from VR up they switched to sequential injection, Is this the same for a VR series two ? ( They came with the ecotech )

What I'm trying to achieve is to be able to keep most of the existing VP loom and just swap the engine loom out then re-pin what I need to so I can run a later model ECU that supports sequential injection. ( and all the extra sensor's the later model engine's utilize )

The goal is to make a well running VP with a later model engine using all of the stock sensor's that came with the later model engine and a wiring loom to suite.

What I have now with the VP engine loom, VR v6 buick and modified memcal runs well enough but its a bit rough and I know it could be better.

I can get a modified memcal to suite pretty easily assuming delco wizard is still making them up, If not I have a haltech from a project that I haven't gotten around to completing that suits vn-vs

Vr-Vs are much the same, So im guessing I can just nab the engine loom from one of those and possibly re-pin what is needed to get the rest working with a VR-VS ecu.

The 4l60e should not be a drama either way, besides I'm planing on running a T5 behind it.

The thread I remember reading about the pin out changes in was one of delco's turbo conversion jobs, He repined a vn-vp loom to suite a VR ecu as it had a faster adl bus or something or other so he can data log and tune on the fly more effectively.

Any help would be great :D

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
this is all way over my head. I am running a VR auto (V6) in my VP on the original VP loom and ECU. It runs really nicely but I am (still) striving for better economy having changed MAT sensor, temp sensor unit and a bunch of other small stuff. I have the VR loom and ECU from the replacement motor. Is it worth fitting that to the motor?
Sorry I can't help with your questions and for piggy-backing on your thread

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
hrm, i was sure ecotec's were introduced in the VS not in the VR... time to do some reading......

The 4l60e should not be a drama either way, besides I'm planing on running a T5 behind it.

The thread I remember reading about the pin out changes in was one of delco's turbo conversion jobs, He repined a vn-vp loom to suite a VR ecu as it had a faster adl bus or something or other so he can data log and tune on the fly more effectively.

If you're planning on putting a manual behind it then a reprogramming a VS ecu with the buick's timing and fuel parameters and using a VS loom on the buick engine would be quite doable.
Re pinning the looms for vr to vn/vp is easy i have a thread in the howto section based on putting a VR v6(buick), 4l60e, loom & ecu/pcm into a vn s2 and was pretty simple to get going.

this is all way over my head. I am running a VR auto (V6) in my VP on the original VP loom and ECU. It runs really nicely but I am (still) striving for better economy having changed MAT sensor, temp sensor unit and a bunch of other small stuff. I have the VR loom and ECU from the replacement motor. Is it worth fitting that to the motor?
Sorry I can't help with your questions and for piggy-backing on your thread

more trouble than it's worth imo, would have to rewire some of the auto wiring to connect to the th700 and i'm still not sure it'd work correctly, vn/vp auto uses a different vss also which may cause problems with the vr pcm, speedo wiring would also have to be changed so it runs to the pcm instead of the trans like it will be now.

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
hmmm lets see if I can get reply with quotes to work in the next reply. Moderator feel free to delete this reply.... thank you

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hey Jxw
I just read your earlier reply more carefully and realised I may have given some confusing info in my question. I am running a VR V6 motor with a VP transmission on the VP ECU. I don't know if that changes your response or not
thanks

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Hey Jxw
I just read your earlier reply more carefully and realised I may have given some confusing info in my question. I am running a VR V6 motor with a VP transmission on the VP ECU. I don't know if that changes your response or not
thanks

that's what i thought you meant (figured you would have to be a magician to run a Vr trans with a vp ecu :p), my response is still the same, big headache for very little gain, banked injection wasn't much better than firing all 6 at once.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hey thanks Jxw. I understand now that the VR loom and ECU would create problems for the VP transmission hence need for re-configuring which would be difficult or impossible. I hadn't thought that through and was just looking at the possible benefit of having the cam angle sensor come into play and possibly other improvements in the engine management with the VR ECU. Hypothetically, would it be straightforward putting a VR tranny into the VP if I then swapped to the VR loom and ECU. I'm guessing the answer to that might be no as well.
I guess the th700 is the VP tranny but what is VSS and PCM(power control module???)
cheers