Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L Misfire

FrangaVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina Wagon
Hello all,
I have a VN 5L that has developed a rather nasty misfire issue. I recently replaced the passenger side engine mount in the usual fashion jacking up the motor to get at the mount and replace it.
I took it for a test drive and for the first 10 minutes or so it was fine, then it developed the misfire, after about another 5 or 10 minutes the car ran fine again. It was intermittent for the next couple of days just going to the local shops. However now its permanently misfiring even at idle in park.

I'm planning on using a spark tester tommorow and going through and testing the spark to each of the cylinders, other than that i'm somewhat stumped it could be so many things. If anyone has any insight or experience with a similar issue any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
when you jacked the engine up, you may have pulled on the wiring harness, dislodging electrical connector/s
I'd be checking all of your electrical connectors, in particular the ignition module and coil

FrangaVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina Wagon
when you jacked the engine up, you may have pulled on the wiring harness, dislodging electrical connector/s
I'd be checking all of your electrical connectors, in particular the ignition module and coil

Thanks for the reply.

I had a look at the coil and the ignition module, they seem like they're in properly. I'll have a look at the other connections tommorow.

A bit more info, when the engine is under no load in gear its either barely noticeable or not there. However at idle in park and under any sort of throttle its there.

Edit: I also checked for error codes and it was all clear.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Have you replaced your coil? Mine developed a very bad misfire and got to the point of being unstartable and undriveable. New bosch coil got it sorted.

FrangaVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina Wagon
Have you replaced your coil? Mine developed a very bad misfire and got to the point of being unstartable and undriveable. New bosch coil got it sorted.

The coil was replaced less than a year ago when the old one died. So the coil is on my list of possibilities but towards the bottom.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Pulled the dizzy cap off and cleaned off all the fuzzy carbon crap that builds up on the rotor button and where it arcs too?