Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strong Petrol smell in my Vn

SAMO-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VX Berlina 5.7L
Hey all,

I have noticed that when I have a full tank of petrol, there is a strong smell of petrol aound the filler area. It is starting to annoy me, so I decided to investigate.

I have been told that it is the breather pipe from the tank. Which, when the tank is full releases fumes.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same sort of thing, and if they have fixed the problem?

Any help much appreciated

Sam

jolly_97

THE VACATIONER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Vacationer
my car smells like fuel when i fill it right up. but by right up i mean trickle fill until the petrol starts overflowing :p every now and then i get a little whiff or petrol but not too often. im sure its nothing too serious mate :)

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
It is a common problem. There are some breather pipes from the top of the tank to a canister near the filler pipe. The hoses perish and often break off. Take the guard in the wheel well and expose the filler pipe. You will see the canister and hoses. Check for cracks and breaks along the hoses.

I replaced mine with fuel line and hose clamps. You need to drop the tank a bit (not all the way) to access the top where the hoses connect to the tank.

Also check the filler pipe and hose and the other pipe running to the bottom edge of the tank.

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
ahh how full..... you know you wreck these hoses by overfilling our tank.. til it is overflowing is not good for your car, them vent lines as said go to the canister which vents the fumes from expanding petrol vapour back into the inlet manifold, by overfilling you are putting fuel in a vent line. it stuffs up the material in your canister blocking it up

RockyVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Wgn, VP Sedan, V6 Ride on Lawnmower
..depends on the line :)

Had the abbo next door pull mine out in an attempt to milk the tank the other year. Cheeky bugger!

Just make sure your tank is pretty empty before playing with the line. It's easier to drop the tank 20cm than twist your arm in 50 places. and its easier to lift a 15kg tank with 10L of petrol, than a 15Kg tank with 75L of petrol!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
It is a common problem. There are some breather pipes from the top of the tank to a canister near the filler pipe. The hoses perish and often break off. Take the guard in the wheel well and expose the filler pipe. You will see the canister and hoses. Check for cracks and breaks along the hoses.

I replaced mine with fuel line and hose clamps. You need to drop the tank a bit (not all the way) to access the top where the hoses connect to the tank.

Also check the filler pipe and hose and the other pipe running to the bottom edge of the tank.

AAhhh i was just bout 2 start a new thread till i read this i just filled up my car 2day n noticed fuel was spilling (only while i was filling up) out down the the same side of the tank could these hose ur talkin bout b the problem i have? i didnt get a chance 2 take the inner guard off but only hoses i could see was a 2" roughly hose connected 2 the tank with some clamps and then a smaller hose running horizontal infront of that big hose r they the hoses i need 2 replace?

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
The breather hoses are small hoses probably about 10mm in diameter (guess). You need to take the guard off. The big hoses are much thicker and probably okay unless you can see a split or hole.

308vkcalais

DIO..
Reaction score
Adelaide(City of Godbothers)Churches S.A.
Members Ride
308 VK Calais, VK EFI Berlina, V6 VN & Kenworth...
Did these just recently on my son's VN only we just removed his tank completely for a paint & new fuel pump.I did sum yrs back aswell in my VKC.Mine were fossilised & just broke up as soon as I touched them.The thinner 'Vapour' lines u can buy anywhere, however the thicker black 'Vent' pipe(made of plastic on VN's) is difficult to buy as it has to be fuel resistant.We just went to Clark Rubber.Pirtek & joints like that would sell the thick pipe also...