Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP Climate Control: Self Diagnosis??

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Hey does anyone know if it is possible to run a diagnosis on a fault in the climate control myself.

In my book it says its possible but too complex to put in the book, soo i thought it mite3 only be able to be done with a tech tool, but im not sure.

Does anyone know if there is a self test i can run?

I think my problem is at the air mix accuator but i want to see if i can run a test to see whats wrong.

Much appreciate it if sumone would be able to help us out on this one.

Last edited:

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Yep, can be done but from memory I may get it wrong :).

I'll look it up and get back to you.

If you want to try and figure it out in the meantime:

It probably won't make much sense but the process starts with holding the CC "off" button down (for ??? secs. 5?) within 5 seconds of turning the ignition on. There are 4 stages stepped through by pressing the "hot" button and steps within each stage stepped through by pressing the "demist" button.

It will display any fault codes (stage 1?) and test each of the (5?) vent flap actuating solenoids and air mix motor (stage 2?). The temp. sensor inputs - ambient air. cabin air, heater pipe, sun sensor, A/C evaporator - are also displayed (stage3?).

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Here's a better shot at how to do it.

1) Ignition on.

2) Hold down "Off" switch for 5 sec. within 10 sec. of ign. on => Stage 1: checks LCD operation.

3) "Hot" button => Stage 2: sensors check.

Sensor fault codes are:

20: none
21: ambient temp.
22: in car temp.
23: water temp.
24: intake temp.
25: sun - will occur in the absence of a source of radiant energy eg. sun or incandescent light globe over the sensor in the centre of the dash.
26: air mix door position (via variable resistor)
27: evaporator temp.

4) "Hot" button => Stage 3: outlet control check.

Use the "Demist" button to step through:

31: vent + console
32: bi-level
33: floor
34: demist/ floor
35: demist

The solenoids need vacuum to operate the actuators so they will stop working (go to floor) when the tank supply is exhausted.

5) "Hot" button => Stage 4: temp sensor readings.

Use the "Demist" button to step through:

Ambient
In-car
Intake
Evaporator

(Readings in degrees C.)

6) "Fan" button => 0.0C . Adjust (to 0.0C) using "Hot" and "Cold" buttons if necessary.

7) Ignition off.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Legend, ive been searching around tryin to find out what each thing was, keep gettin a 2 then a flashing 5 on the 2nd stage.

Thats a heaps better write up.

This would be the same in all climate control cars VN-VS yes?

good work mate, this need a sticky now

JimBee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V6
no luck

Hi all, i'am new to the site and was just reading the post RE: Climate Control, i have been having a few problems with mine for a while now on a S1 VS Berlina, on hot days it will read between 3-7 Deg and the air cond wont kick in, just wondering how Calais Cruzin went with the diagnostic on the climate control, i tryed it and could not get it to go into diagnostic mode.

any help with this would be great.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hi all, i'am new to the site and was just reading the post RE: Climate Control, i have been having a few problems with mine for a while now on a S1 VS Berlina, on hot days it will read between 3-7 Deg and the air cond wont kick in, just wondering how Calais Cruzin went with the diagnostic on the climate control, i tryed it and could not get it to go into diagnostic mode.

any help with this would be great.

VS may be different to VP.
It took me a while to find but this may help, if the link works

JimBee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V6
Low temp showing

Hi all, i'am new to the site and just wondering how Calais_Cruzin went with the diagnostic on the Climate Control, i have a VS Berlina and on a hot day it will show very low temp on the ambient temp.

any help would be great, Thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hi all, i'am new to the site and just wondering how Calais_Cruzin went with the diagnostic on the Climate Control, i have a VS Berlina and on a hot day it will show very low temp on the ambient temp.

any help would be great, Thanks

I gave you a link in my last post so you can do your own diagnosis.