Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting Bumpers

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Hey everyone
It has come a time when my bumpers are half the shade they are supposed to be (well, rear anyway), and the strips along the sides are all patchy and it looks horrible.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before, what's the best way to do it? At first I was going to use a spray gun with air compressor (sorry I don't know technical names for these types of painting). But then I thought, why not just use a pressure pack spray can?
I've never painted anything before in either way, I guess I have to do a few coats but which way would work the best?
I am going to take the bumpers off to do it, but not the strips along the side.
Oh and should I use a gloss paint or matte?

Here's a photo so you know what I mean!
SonyDSC-P72667Medium.jpg

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
if you have access to a spray gun, then use it, the difference will be noticeable. Also lots of prep work, the right paint, and a good clear coat to.

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
your really gonna need to prep those bars properly... give em a good scrub down an some wax and grease remover before u start...

use a spray gun.. u will get a far better even coat then a pressure pack...probably be easier for u since u have never painted anything before...

also just paint them in a paint called (bumper bar black) :)

lol i also hope your gonna take em off to paint as u dont want a mist of black over spray on ya red paintwork lol

VLDavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
lc torana. vn v8. ke30.mazda 1300.
i think black and red go together pretty good ... have u see the red vn with i think the numberplate is (stwlen) its got group a twin throttle bodies and has MSC performance up the side of it on fr simmons..

same as yours but with black bumpers

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
if your crap with a a spray gun then youll notice it lol...

im presssure pack king so thats how i did mine.

Prep work is key, good sand, got mine smoother than silk, then i primed it, 4 coats of paint and 2 of clear coat.... wait three days to dry and then cut and polish.

oh and use black, will be tougher that way.

aZk.

SAMO-87

Reaction score
Members Ride
02' VX Berlina 5.7L
I want to do the same to mine, paint bumpers, sillls and strips down the side of the car. Obviously the bumpers are coming off, but what about the strips down the side? Is it easier to just mask up and paint them and the sills together?

Cheers,
Sam