Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a few easy wiring changes

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Ever wanted to put your power windows down or up if it started raining and didn't have the keys so you couldn't do it or had to go and find them.
I put a momentary action switch in that puts 12v on the pink 12v ign on wire ( via a diode so you don't back feed every other accessory) to the power window contol box under the dash so when you press it restarts the timer on the power of the windows so you can move the windows without the key and then times out after the set time as normal.
I used the power/economy switch from the console of a vr/s and it looks factory and works a treat.
Basically you cut the pink wire near the module and insert diode in circuit and tee off it on module end of diode through a switch to another tee joint on orange/green wire.

Attachments

• window mod.JPG
    window mod.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 1,329
Last edited:

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Hmmm...... Interesting.

I've never really had a need for that, but what would be really good is having the windows automatically raise themselves once the car has been locked by the remote. Not much good locking the doors if you've forgotten to put up a window.

Any idea?

CATCH! :D

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Can't believe that no one has had this problem before as after I did this I couldn't believe that gmh didn't put this feature in standard.I use the mod all the time.

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Jaycar have a kit you connect to your alarm so when it arms, the windows go up. Can be used for positive or negative trigger windows. Four door version costs $59.95 and the part number is LR-8853

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
I used the power /econ switch out of the next model and took the push on push off mech out by removing a spring so it was a momentary action.
Fitted perfectly and looks like it should be there.
Its handy if you are wanting to put the windows up and you dont have your keys with you or get sick of turning the key to on and off to restart the timer.

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
Heya mark, I just did this mod to an auto / econ switch as I had 2 of these spare and I found when I popped open the back of the switch, the little black spring that's responsible for locking the switch down pops out and it's forever lost anyway.

It works momentary just as you mentioned however when I put the switch back together, I tested it for continuity and found it got continuity all the time, then I took it back apart and turned the little circuit board around and that fixed the problem. Now it only gets continuity when the button is pressed. Should work like a charm now.

I noticed the little flat pins on the plug are similar to the ones on the rear door central locking harness so because I'm not using these I removed the pins from the rear door loom connector and cut the female plug to this as well. The pins from the auto / econ switch slide back into this central locking plug and this makes a nice conversion for this as well. I could've used the auto / econ switch female plug, but I didn't have one ;)

Basically you cut the pink wire near the module and insert diode in circuit and tee off it on module end of diode through a switch to another tee joint on orange/green wire.

I haven't installed it yet because I don't have the diode, what exactly is the model number / type so I can track it down? This way I can install it into the loom prior to installing into the car.

I really like the sound of the auto windows up function mentioned above once the car is switched off. I've already thought about this mod myself and it'd be cool if it happened when the door jamb switch is activated.

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
The power /economy switch worked great and I took the spring out like you did ...I actually installed the mod initially into my vp that doesnt usually have one and it fits straight in.
In my vr I used a vn/p wagon washer switch that clicked into the console next to the flashing theft deterent diode and with a nikko pen modified the front so it didnt look like one.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Hey mark, sounds like an interesting mod.

Also want pics of the VN/P one installed.

If i was to do it, i'd either use the button under the radio (if its possible to use one of those) or find a switch that will work but looks the same as the other rocker switches i have.

I have no clue with wiring tho, so i'd have to get an Auto Elec to do it, but its a great idea, as turning on my ignition the lights come back on (auto off lights) and i have to open and close the door....

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Heres the switch in my vr next to the antenna buttons....tried to make the switch picture to resemble a window with a nikko pen.

Attachments

• window reset.jpg
    window reset.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 818
Last edited: