Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Modifying the vs s/c cai .... yes or no?

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
I just yesterday got my harmonic balancer replaced .... and now have noticed that the mechanic has made a mess of my cai when taking it off or putting it back on.

it now wobbles all over the place, the tappet rivets are shredded and there are now gapping holes and multiple drill holes :realangry. The rivets are now useless and the cai is no longer firmly attached, may even find it difficult to find a place to attach a new one. So now i have to fix it.

My question is .... In the pic attached you will see what i did to my current cai thinking it will flow more air.

Can i get you guys opinion if this is a worthwhile modification and do you think it would have any benifit .... I plan to get a new one and would like to know before i go cutting that one up.

Thanks.

Attachments

• vr commodore series 2 039.jpg
    vr commodore series 2 039.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,008

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
sounds like your mechanics a moron. just open it up with a heatgun. same effect, but wont look like crap

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
sounds like your mechanics a moron. just open it up with a heatgun. same effect, but wont look like crap

So there is a benefit in opening these cai's up as i have done? I cut my current one like this and wondering should i do it again.

Got my car serviced a couple days ago at the automotive workshop i have chosen... needed radiator replaced also and they did a fine job of replacing my cai.... needed HB done asap so put the car in quickest place i could. He obviously used a power tool when i didnt need too.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
When GMH engineers designed the S/C CAI they would have picked the best possible design for maximum performance and thoroughly tested it in a wind tunnel.....otherwise they get the sack!
That's the theory - if you alter the design you also alter it's performance.

But there's nothing wrong with a bit of individualism and who's to say it cannot be improved upon....so if you figure altering the design improves it go for it.

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
When GMH engineers designed the S/C CAI they would have picked the best possible design for maximum performance and thoroughly tested it in a wind tunnel.....otherwise they get the sack!
That's the theory - if you alter the design you also alter it's performance.

But there's nothing wrong with a bit of individualism and who's to say it cannot be improved upon....so if you figure altering the design improves it go for it.

Thanks for the response.... i was thinking the same thing as the information you provided --- if it worked better with a bigger inlet than presumably they would of made it like that. Maybe it decreases the ram effect with a wider inlet ... just looking for some confirmation from someone that knows more about engine workings than myself .... cheers:thumbsup:

i noticed the ss induction version for my model commodore has quite a large intake opening .... that is where i got the idea to cut it from ----- similar air intake opening, just $350 cheaper.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
They may have sacrificed some performance to cut costs however?