Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How TO replace the blower fan motor VS

Siggers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Hi Guys,

After 3 days of trying to replace the blower fan motor, I finally figured it out. So here is a step by step to remove the motor (not the whole unit).
1. remove grey surround from around the stereo and then the light grey surround.
2. remove the glove box (hint there is a black dowl on the right side that slides out)
3. remove the top lining remove the screws from just under the dash lining at the bottom corners and the grey cover on the side where the joint for the air vent is.
4. remove the air tube that goes along the top of the dash to the rear of the car, by removing the screws on the side near the door, and there is one screw where it joins to the main air system, and I think there is one in the middle somwhere.
5. undo the two screw bolts on up under the dash and the other under the blower itself.
6. remove the cream hatch, there is a dowl holding it in as well wich is connected to one of the phumatic pusher thing, there are a bunch of screws they might look a little rusty, the three on the botom and there are three at the top in the hatch thing i think, also there are 2 screws on either side where the black plastic stops on the side hard to explain I should of taken photos, sorry.
7. remove the metal cover, covering the blower fins, should slide out, might need some persuasion, if still no good, check everywhere for that one that got away.
8. remove the fins from the motor, should be straight forward to remove that.
9. you should be able to see the three screws that come in from the back that hold the motor in place. you wont be able remove all three but the good news is that its held in by gromets.
10. remove the bottom bolt, i belive its a 10mm socket, then remove the other, this one is a little harder to remove but it is doable.
11. this should be it, slide it out the back and thats it, put it back in oppisite direction.

If you have any other questions just ask :)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Good work hey - may save an A/C regass if you dont need to take the heater box out to replace a fan.

Siggers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Its not as easy as I made it out near the end, use common sensce about things not moving etc... Check for hidden srews or bolts, the motor just doesn't slide out that back you really have to give it some persuasion, and the bolts are difficult to remove, but it worked for me and I also was able to repair the same motor that was blown, as most of them the plug melts and you think your motor is dead, its not, wear and tear on most electic motors is either 2 things, dust build up so extra resistence (drawing more power) or bush's are worn out. You can pull the back off the motor with the 3 bolts I think or screws and you should see that the 2 wires that go to the bushs (they are opposite eachother and touch the centre shft I believe from memory) they will be broken... you can easily if you know anything about electronics reconnect them with a few ways, get a wire joiner (you can buy packs of these from super cheap for about 4 dollers for a pack of like 20) and join onto the old wire and put some new wire on the opposite endand feed it out the hole where the connector usually went, or you can solder some new wire on then and do the same, I then bought a conector with a male and female ends, or a joiner, you know the little pins and you plug on into the other a basic plug type, but with male and female ends, then put one on my new wires coming out of the motor, and the other on the wires already going to the motor, replace and see if it works, should do, but before you do all that, tap the motor upside down gently, and you will proberbly notice that allot of black suit comes out this will cause extra resistence and would of cause the wireing and plug to heat up and melt then short out once they had melted to much then vola a broken motor and prob lot of smoke out the vents... If that still didn't make any sence, google how a motor works do a bit of research on it and see how you go from there, OR just buy another from a wrecker, hopefully they will sell you one, as most of them sell the whole assembly, on the Gold Coast the Commordore wreckers in Burleigh do I believe. Let me know if you need help...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Well done !!! Everything else that I've read (including the factory manual) says that you have to remove the entire dashboard to replace the fan motor in a VR/VS. That's excellent news.

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
Sorry for the thread dig but after following this I needed to voice my opinion. I needed to change the motor myself and felt the need to state that this is absolutely, and I mean absolutely no where near as easy as this guide implies. Not having a shot at the OP, but seriously do not attemp this if you aren't prepared to see the whole thing through. You will get pissed off and possibly break things. If you have tried this, you will know what I mean when I say, why the f**k couldn't the heads of the 3 nuts holding this arsehole of a unit in place, have been facing the opposite way around??? Cheers.

P.S I am yet to fully suceed in this DIY, the old motor is out at the expense of breaking off part of the shroud that covers it, so I'm looking forward to fixing that, as from what I can tell it is all part of the heater box, and lucky me, the conection for the old motor was all melted and fused together and I had to cut the wires to get it out so now I get to go through all this again at the wreckers to get another conection.

Siggers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
If you read a little further down, I do explain how hard it really is, it wasn't a piece of cake thats for sure, but if your other alternative is to pull the whole dash out and then regas your system, i think this makes it just a little better

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
No worries mate, good work on the info anyway, I couldn't find anything else on it anywhere. TBH I probably wouldn't have bothered had
I known what a pain in the arse it would be! I was really just pissed off cause I'd gone through all that and couldn't hook up the new one cause the switch was all melted...

Siggers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Yeah that does suck. And clearly why it failed... But i certainly hope people use this topic as a form of reference to do this. As it would cost heaps to have an a/c guy do it. And ripping the whole dash out is just crazy

More Fugga

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr berlina
Issues with 94 VR Berlina series 2, Stupid f*cking car.... Replaced the blower fan with lots of cursing got it back together in about 5 hours. Now it blows a gail when on speed 3... However, there are two issues... 1 the cover that rolls down over the fan is always open is it ment to close for heat or for internal/external air?
Next problem is despite my heater temp at best, it is just mildly warm... The air con works great but its winter... Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Siggers86

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Well its pretty much summer now, so I guess your problem is over :)

Seriously, I would check which way the heater hoses are under the bonnet if they are reversed, you won't get hot air, just warm air!

Yes that vent should open and close when in recycle and fresh, there is a vaccume solenoid attached to it, that makes it move when fresh and recycle is selected