Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

water noise behind dash

Force88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
when im driving my car sometimes i will notice this water bubbling noise behind the dash and im a tad concerned as to what this could be. it doesn't happen all the time and the car isn't running hot when i hear the noise, so im fairly sure its not an overheating issue. i had the radiator replaced about a year ago which i thought might have been the problem because the car was overheating but the noise has still persisted. i also noticed that sometimes there is a fine cold mist coming out of the aircon vents. could this be related?
car is a 1995 VS berlina. any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
your cooling system has air trapped in it... you need to bleed the air out

Force88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
is that to fix the fine mist or the bubble noise? or both? and how would i go about bleeding the air out?

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
bleed will fix the bubble/water flowing noise, cold mist is probably nothing (just due to cold weather coming through ya vents)

to bleed, go outside, unscrew your plastic engine cover and remove it, start your car and let it idle in park, unscrew the bleeder valve (located on top of ya thermostat housing (the thing your top radiator hose connects to on the engine)). let it run for a fair while until your car heats up and the thermostat opens (you wont see this happen coz its inside the housing, but you'll know its open when a significant amount of fluid starts coming out of the bleeder valve hole). when you get a solid stream of coolant coming out of the bleeder valve hole with no bubbles/air at all, then screw the valve closed and your done.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The mist you mention may be coming from a leak in the heater matrix/radiator. If it smells a bit 'sickly' (due to glycol coolant) and you are needing to top up the coolant it could point to this unit leaking...not uncommon.
Otherwise it's as in the previous posts....bleed the system.

Force88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
well i bled the system. waited for a constant flow of coolant to come out. will just have to wait and see if the noise persists or not. thanks heaps for the advice though :)

00vxsc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX L67, ln106 hilux, xr600r
i reckon your drain for you a/con thingy is blocked, had the same problem with my vr, eventually got to the stage that the passenger side carpet around the gearbox tunnel had a trickle of water run over it, there is a drain hole under the car just in front of the where the gearstick is, slightly to the passenger side (easier to reach from the passenger side) prod that hole with a zip tie a few times and watch the water piss out! i am positive this is in the gregory's manual as well? let me know how you go!

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
well i bled the system. waited for a constant flow of coolant to come out. will just have to wait and see if the noise persists or not. thanks heaps for the advice though :)

:thumbsup:

i reckon it'll do the trick... let us know