Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

starting

ianf

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS 'S' Utility
:cry:Once again i come to you for advice as I have now worked it out that this site is better then any mechanic?
I have a 99 VS S ute with ecotec and I am now having trouble starting the motor?, it seems to really struggle for the first crank but then seems to let go?, I am then ok but sometimes as soon as i turn it off and try to restart I have a flat battery but if I jump it with leads it starts straight away... As you can imagine turning up at the auto elec is like him winning the lotto as wityhout any real idea he wants to replace everything but I had hoped that someone might be able to tell me if this is a common thing with these motors etc?, It has done 295,000k's but apart from this goes along great...
"Any Ideas?":D

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
Ok lets brainstorm :) My first guess is the alternator. It could be that because it's not charging the battery and then when you try to start again you have no life in it. Also it might not be starting well because of low voltage from the battery.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like you battery is just about dead and has lost capacity - if over 3 years old then it will fail either now or soon.

Chappo_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute V6 1996
My VS does this, but it does not sound as bad as yours. Mine doesn’t ‘really struggle’ on the first crank, but it is slow. After this, as you say, it seems to let go. I don’t get the flat battery problem.

I replaced my battery about three or four months ago. It still does it with the new battery, but not as bad. I thought, before it gets too much worse, to get myself a reconditioned starter motor. My car has done over 370,000 km, and I suspect it is the original starter motor.