Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

V6 VT engine into VS?

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
When I was looking around the wreckers for a replacement engine, a few of them refused
to give me an engine from a VT, claiming it wasn't 100% compatible. I've looked into it,
and can only find that the water pump and oil sump are different, nothing critical.
It should bolt in, and plug into the PCM. Has anybody dropped a VT (or VS III) engine
in without drama?

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
I think the temp guage sensor is also not in the front of the inlet manifold like the vs version.

So you might have to tap in a hole for the sensor

bobthefish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355
It is pretty straight forward- only the gearbox upgrade for a column shift gearbox is hard.
Remove your temp sensor from the vs and replace it in the bleed screw hole in the vt above the thermostat. Everyone says to tap a new hole but it is completely unnecessary. You can unplug and loosen the sensor to bleed the system, but always fill it through the top radiator hose to avoid a long bleeding process.
The passenger side engine mount must be swapped with yours for the mounting bracket for the ac compressor. Do this before fitting engine.
Also you swap the breather line as a VT has no charcoal cannister. I recommend keeping your exhaust headers too as VT manifolds crack on the passenger side, and you must swap the nearside to fit as bell housings are different on vs gearboxes, and its once again easier to swap over while the motors are out- swap eveything before fitting and use plenty of antiseize spray on the manifold bolts as they can easily snap and its near impossible to get the stud out if its in the car.
Also, it has EGR module/valve. I left it disconnected and it continues to run fine. and make sure you get an engine cover for a VT as they are different- exchange for your vs one.
If you end up upgrading your gearbox, let me know as I did a column shift so know every mod necessary. In the end though, not much fun! Recommend leaving gearboxes standard.

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
hey mate it's definatly possible as i have a vt motor in my VS S3 ute, i didn't do the conversion the previous owner did it but as said above there isn't alot of difference between the two and the only differences are easy to fix your self.

Gurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 86 Berlina
I hope the fit straight in because I am sticking a 99 VT motor into my 97 VS this weekend.. Will talk to my mechanic about the passenger engine mounts.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
It is pretty straight forward- only the gearbox upgrade for a column shift gearbox is hard.
Remove your temp sensor from the vs and replace it in the bleed screw hole in the vt above the thermostat. Everyone says to tap a new hole but it is completely unnecessary. You can unplug and loosen the sensor to bleed the system, but always fill it through the top radiator hose to avoid a long bleeding process.
The passenger side engine mount must be swapped with yours for the mounting bracket for the ac compressor. Do this before fitting engine.
Also you swap the breather line as a VT has no charcoal cannister. I recommend keeping your exhaust headers too as VT manifolds crack on the passenger side, and you must swap the nearside to fit as bell housings are different on vs gearboxes, and its once again easier to swap over while the motors are out- swap eveything before fitting and use plenty of antiseize spray on the manifold bolts as they can easily snap and its near impossible to get the stud out if its in the car.
Also, it has EGR module/valve. I left it disconnected and it continues to run fine. and make sure you get an engine cover for a VT as they are different- exchange for your vs one.
If you end up upgrading your gearbox, let me know as I did a column shift so know every mod necessary. In the end though, not much fun! Recommend leaving gearboxes standard.

Would the inlet manifold from the VS fit the VT motor and in turn not need to worry about the EGR?

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i did a vt motor into a vs and it went in easy changed a few small things around the top end and it all went together smoothly cant remember exactly what we did as it was a while ago but it was an easy swap and has been driving for 6 months now with no issues and everything works.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Would the inlet manifold from the VS fit the VT motor and in turn not need to worry about the EGR?

Yes. The manifolds are interchangable. By fitting the vs manifold to a vt-vy motor you avoid the need to add the vs coolant temp sender and block the egr port on the plenum.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Yes. The manifolds are interchangable. By fitting the vs manifold to a vt-vy motor you avoid the need to add the vs coolant temp sender and block the egr port on the plenum.

Cool, sounds like a better way to do it :)