Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cruise control switch on a manual

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hey, Im about to install cruise control into my manual ute. I got the additional brake swtich although Im not sure what I should use on the clutch. There seems to be a hole in the pedal box above the clutch which looks like it can house a switch although the hole is larger than the brake stop switch, so I cant just use one of those. Any ideas or does anyone have pictures of their setup?

Also with wiring this extra switch up, is it the easiest just to splice into the wires of the additional cruise brake switch wiring and running this to the clutch switch? Or can I use the two spare pins on the cruise brake switch?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Try reading here with a few pictures I did it but the hole you are asking about doesnt suit the switch ......so you have to take the metal bracket that goes along the bottom of the dash and make a bracket that goes behind the original dash bracket with a nut between them so you can adjust it........also with the switch I had to add a small piece to the section that pushes on the pedal arm to get enough travel......to wire it just take one lug and wire out of the original cruise brake switch connector and run it to the new switch and then run a new piece of wire between the other terminal of the new clutch switch and where the old lug was on the old brake switch...you have to use the spade terminal on the very end of both switches
heres a side on view
clutchswitchsm.jpg

Last edited:

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I was having a look at some VN/VP wrecks today and stumbled on this switch, I think its either a brake or cruise control switch which was used in the car. The switch is larger in diameter companred to the brake switch so I was wondering if this could be used in the hole near the top of the clutch pedal?
If not, then i'll just frabricate something up.

switch2Large.jpg

IMG_0764Large.jpg

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
i looked at that hole to do it but in the end i used another switch like the extra cruise switch... that big hole in the picture has been enlarged in by a past owner....my car has a power window module over that spot so i dont have a choice where i had to mount mine. heres a picture of my vn showing the available holes for the brakes and the clutch in the factory bracket setup...you can just see the clutch one...i think it has a tin round bracket that pushes in first and then the switch goes behind it yours has been made bigger by someone............the switch on the right in your picture has contacts setup so when the pressure is taken off it by the pedal it makes the circuit...if you use it you will have to find the wire in the cruise circuit that releases the cruise module when 12v is applied to to it and put it in series. On a vs cruise control it has 2 release pedal circuits ...one that releases when 12v is applied and another when 12v is taken away.
clutchpedal.jpg

Last edited:

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
The one on the right is just a brake switch i believe which would be similar to the original additional cruise control brake swtich? I didnt have the other switch handy so I just took a picture of the brake switch.
As far as the circuit is concerned, I would assume that it would be similar to the brake and additional brake switch in that when the pedal is depressed, it will disengage the cruise control? Does that make sense or am I talking gibberish

The sensor I have pictured on the left, do you know what that switch is for, and if it completes the circuit if pressure is applied or not applied to the switch?So the original additional cruise control brake switch, is that one where it releases cruise control when the 12v is taken away?

I'll also grab additional pictures of the metal bracket and stuff later on.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
You may have to work out wether the additional switch is N/C (normally closed) or N/O (normally open). That is, with the clutch pedal depressed, will it make a connection or break a connection?
This will determine how you will wire it up.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
You may have to work out wether the additional switch is N/C (normally closed) or N/O (normally open). That is, with the clutch pedal depressed, will it make a connection or break a connection?
This will determine how you will wire it up.

agreed.

if the setup of the original switch is N/C. then wire the extra switch in series.
this way, either switch will break the circuit and cause an "open" trigger.

if the setup of the original switch is N/O. then wire the extra switch in parallel.
this way, either switch will short the circuit and cause a "closed" trigger.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Does the VS cruise system use a normally close connection? As in when the brake / clutch is depressed it makes the connection to the cruise circuit and then when either the clutch or brake are depressed, it breaks the circuit?

I was just going to solder two wires into the additional cruise brake switch and connect it to the new clutch switch.

Would this work?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Heres the circuit if you have a normally open type switch you cant just put it across your brake switch (called brake switch A in the diagram ) for obvious reasons....your brake lights will come on everytime you push on the clutch so what you really need is a normally closed switch that you put in series (not across)with switch B
40903d1190930767-vr-vs-cruise-control-they-different-vs-cruise-relay.jpg

Last edited: