Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Central Locking problem on Acclaim VS II

avickerstaff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Acclaim VS II
Hey, I was wondering if anyone else has this experience or can point me in the right direction.

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand Acclaim VS II 1997. The central locking was working perfectly for 2 weeks.

This weekend the central locking stopped working. Neither pressing the button on the key or manually pulling up/pushing down the locks on the doors has any effect.

However, when pressing the button on the key or pushing down/pulling up the door locks I can hear a noise that sounds a bit like a gas noise. I am guessing this is the system trying to work but failing. None of the doors respond to the central locking in any way.
The interior light does not turn off when closing the doors now or when locking the car manually.

I have checked all the interior fuses and they appear to be fine.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be or resolution?

Thanks

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id start by removing the door trims and spraying the lock actuators etc with WD 40 or similar.They can get frozen up and sometimes need loosening with a bit of WD spray and some manual manipulation from inside the door to get them moving freely..If everything seems ok and is all free moving.Then Id look at the BCM (Body Control Module).The BCM is located under the dash/steering column, up behind the fuses.This controls a lot of the body systems including the central locking.Id try to borrow a BCM (one thats the same level) from a mate or whoever,and plug it in and see if that fixes it.If it does fix it,and you need to replace yours,then theres a few things you need to know about the BCM.It comes in a few different levels ,LOW,MED and HIGH level BCMs (depending on the equipment level,like calais BCM is different to an executive BCM)and they are mostly not interchangeable.And the BCM also controls the securtiy (immobiliser) ,so you need to get the matching key fob for the ignition key from the car the BCM comes from.Your old key fob will be no good any more.(just swap the plastic fob over onto your key).Also write down the VIN of the vehicle the BCM comes out of.It will help if you ever need to see holden to get a new ignition keyfob programmed if you ever loose your ignition key.Holden use the VIN to get the security code so they can program new keys.If the BCM doesnt match the VIN any more because the BCM has been replaced,the keys security code will be wrong,and thats why you need the other cars VIN.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
That gas noise you hear when pressing the unlock button would be the BCM recognising the unlock signal and processing it (for want of a better word). Fuse number 7 inside the passenger compartment is the fuse that powers them - it is not unknown for the rear of the fuse holder to melt - not sure, but you may be able to use a mirror to have a look at the back - or use a multimeter or test lamp to check there is power on both sides of the fuse with ignition off. Finally try to remember back to when they failed - were you installing a new head unit or did you have a door trim off etc. Last thought (but it shouldn't affect it) have you tried to deadlock the car via the drivers door lock?
Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

avickerstaff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Acclaim VS II
Hi thanks for the advice guys.

I was cleaning the inside of the car at the weekend and next time I went to use the car the central locking was no longer working. The only place I was working on the trim was below the passanger back seat door where the carpet had come loose. I pushed this back under the trim, there is a wire down there, but I would not have thought this would effect the central locking.

I have tried deadlocking the car via the drivers door and this jams the signal from the key so I don't hear the 'gas' noise when pressing the unlock button. When the car is not deadlocked then I hear the noise. If this means that the problem is not the BCM then does anyone know what stops the signal getting to the doors?

I will see if I can look behind the fuses to check if anything has melted.

avickerstaff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Acclaim VS II
Checked fuse 7 all seems ok. When removing that fuse and trying the key button or manual locks to trigger the central locking I only hear a click and no 'gas' noise. This returns when placing the fuse back in.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If something is making a noise in the car when the buttons are pressed on the remote,the key signal and power is getting to the BCM which means the fuses should be ok.Id be looking elsewhere.Also where exactly are these "clicking" and "gas" noises coming from?

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I love clues and yours is:
"I was cleaning the inside of the car at the weekend and next time I went to use the car the central locking was no longer working. The only place I was working on the trim was below the passanger back seat door where the carpet had come loose. I pushed this back under the trim, there is a wire down there, but I would not have thought this would effect the central locking."

You are going to have to retrace every move you made.......

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
if it helps... get another BCM... even though it's not coded, and swap it over temporarily... your central locking will still work (by manually pushing down the drivers button) on the other doors if the problem was the BCM.

if the problem STILL persists... at least you know its not the BCM.

Oh, BCM's... without a coded key at the wreckers, i paid $35 at "pick-a-part" wreckers after he said it was $55 and i explained nicely how it didnt have a coded key with it.

Mind you... only reason i did it was i needed a "MID" series bcm. you can use a LOW series to test it.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Im sure Ive read on here somewhere that different level BCM's have different connectors and arent interchangeable..

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Im sure Ive read on here somewhere that different level BCM's have different connectors and arent interchangeable..

I Still have not been able to find one for the mrs VR Berlina. Holden have no clue what type it is, its not stated LOW< MID<HI<LUX
Just seems like some bosch special once off lol. I Would swap a BCM like for like, who knows whats different and how its controlled.