Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

werid problems with my VS

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
ok so i went for a drive in the car today it started fine everything was normal went to the petrol station got some gas and petrol and went to start the car and there was no power left in the battery ?
we got someone to jump start the car took it home and turned it off for ten minutes and it was fine went out a couple of hours later it was fine turned it on for 5 minutes and then turned it off then on and it was flat again got a bettery meter and it was saying the battery was charging (while the car was on) and when the car was turned off it was full so it looks like there isnt enough power getting to the motor? what could it be and why has it just started doing it?

HOTVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE, VS
sounds like itll be your alternator, gotto the auto lecs and get them to check your alternator.

MX_Leigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
yz250f
sounds like itll be your alternator, gotto the auto lecs and get them to check your alternator.

wow never thought it would have anything to do with an alternator haha. so that would stop it from shifting properly and make it play up with the idle?

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
wow never thought it would have anything to do with an alternator haha. so that would stop it from shifting properly and make it play up with the idle?

what? where did he mention idle and shifting? are you in the wrong thread?

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
possibly a collapsed cell in the battery.
get the auto elecy to load test the battery, or if you take the battery out of the car, after charging it i think repco can test the batterys on a load test machine.
I hope that helps.

My Vs Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vs Commodore Executive
Dude i had the same prob, took it to a auto electrition and they said it was the battery connection leads, so i had them change and has been fine ever since, i had that done about a year and a half ago.

humpty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
another idea is to put a relay on the starter motor.....it gives that extra bit off power when starting

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
how can putting a relay on the starter motor give it more power? do you know how a relay works?

i would say your brushes in the alternator are gone, easy to check and easy to change. there is a black module on the back of the alt held in by 2 screws, remove this and check the length of the 2 brushes if they are really short 5mm change them and it should fix the charging issue. will cost around $90.

you can check the leads as "My Vs Commmodore" mentioned by checking resistance with a mutlimeter.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Start by checking your battery terminals are clean and free of corrosion. if one is cracked or corroded away, replace it.

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
ok took out the brushes in the alternator and there not to bad put it back in and now its not charging at all is there a special way you have to put them back in?