Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS calais Steering whine at low speeds

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
hey guys,

i've recently begun noticing that at low speeds turning corners or round abouts i can hear a whine from the front of the engine.
I've deduced that it is most likely the power steering pump (or something in the power steering system) as it only happens when i turn the wheel whilst moving at low speeds. At high speeds it is fine (no noise) and there is no problems going in a straight line.
I have been told that it may simply be that the belt is too loose or it could be as complex as having to bleed the system and replace the pump.

Has anyone had any problems like this with a VS? If so is there an easy fix? i've found a few threads in which similar problems are occurring in a VY but it doesn't seem to be the same problem.....

Cheers,
James.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If its a moaning groaning type of sound when the steering wheel is turned at low speeds,or when stopped, like when parking etc,try spraying wd 40 into the bush where the steering column shaft passes through the firewall into the engine bay.Spray it up and in there from the engine bay side.(From underneath the car is easier),I was first told by a couple of different mechanics that this noise was either the steering rack or power steering pump needed replacing,about $600 or so they quoted me for both,then after reading on here about this moaning groaning noise in the VS steering, and the wd 40 fix for it,I thought Id try it before parting with $600 for new parts,the wd 40 worked excellent,the noise stopped completely,and 2 years later it still hasnt come back.And I saved myself $600 which wouldnt have fixed the noise anyway.I have since fixed this noise on a number of VS's,its pretty common.

Last edited:

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Bleed the air out of the power steering oil or you have air leak somewhere, check all the hoses, if not it may just need a fresh oil change.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Have you checked your power steering oil level and the condition of the belt? Driving at low speeds around corners (parking lot etc.) places a lot of strain on the power steering pump and the belt. Are you at full lock and continuing to put pressure on the steering wheel when you hear the whine or does it occur prior to full lock?

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
hey guys sorry for the late reply but i thought i replied to this ages ago.
thanks for all the advice but i thought i'd try the cheap and easy solition before i started bleeding teh power steering dry and i srapyed some wd40 into the shoe and it worked! i consulted a mechanic and he told me that when the cars are made, they put some grease in the shoe and over time, it wears off, causing the whine i was hearing!

thanks brett!

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
Bush at the steering column fixed mine too, except I used rubber grease. You may find it starts doing it again in a few months wd40 doesn't last very long. +1 brett

same here i used rubber grease and wd40 the wd40 wore off in 12 weeks and the grease is going strong after almost 2 years>good luck

pondyrock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon
Is the steering column bush the same on a VX? And is this it?
steering bush.jpgsteering bush1.jpg

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive never heard of this problem happening on the later model commys, just VS models for some reason. Even the VR ,which is basically the same car as the VS doesnt have this problem ,(well no VR's that Ive ever come across anyway)