Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Starter motor issue or solenoid

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
hey guys

For a while now when I go to start my car sometimes it clicks a few times and then winds over slow, other days kicks over fast.

Earlier it just kept going click, click, click, so I got under the car and hit it a few times, it then started... winding over fast however there was sparks from the front of the starter motor and then my tacho needle was jumping around while idling.

Turned it off, it re-started this time winding slowly again, but there were no sparks.

So is it safe to say the starter needs replacement? It used to wind over slow when I first got it, until I had the cable on the solenoid tightened.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
try your earths first. give them a good clean and see how you go

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
engine block earth. if its dirty it will create high resistance and slow the cranking down dramatically.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Thanks, I will check it tomorrow.

Hopefully, that is all it is.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
while your at it check your terminals on your battery. make sure they are clean. tight and not perished

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
Had the same problem last night.. Went to the shops and it started normally when leaving home.. Got back in car at shops and it had no power and wouldnt start. Had to get jump started.. Anyways i got home and i cleaned all my earths and put fresh terminals on and cut the earth wire and got clean wire hooked back up and also added another earth to the engine.. Now works perfect again so try clean all your earths and put fresh terminals on and see how it goes.. Also maybe if you can clean the connection at the starter..

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
the sparks? are they coming from where the wiring attaches, or where it bolts to the block?

if it is coming from where the wiring attaches, I'd dare say the bolt/contact that was loose is damaged and not holding properly anymore. new starter/solenoid.
if it is coming from where the starter bolts to the block, I'd say it is going to be a poor connection between starter and block. possibly loose bolts.

failing that, you need to check voltage drop to the starter and find if it is an earth issues, a power issue, or a starter motor issue.

Voltage Drop Testing

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Came from the bolt on the front of the starter motor, only did it once, after hitting the starter motor a few times.

Before hitting the starter there was only clicking, since hitting it, it has been starting better then it used to, sometimes it drags still and other times it don't.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe you knocked the wire back in or something. Get back under there and see if you can move the nut in the end of the bilt with your fingers. Just disconnect the battery first and have a feel. I think you eill find that the nut is finger lose or may not even be there at all