Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Tranny error.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Code 73 - Pressure Control Solenoid Current - Auto Transmission Only
This came up today I wasn`t driving but the car was running as normal.
Laterly backing out of driveway stop put into drive takes awhile to change so next tranny service was going to put in 2 new Shift Control Solenoids.
What is this error?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Solenoid has to be replaced.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
....... so next tranny service was going to put in 2 new Shift Control Solenoids.

The pressure control solenoid is separate from the two shift control solenoids.

PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID
Circuit Description:
The pressure control solenoid is a PCM controlled device used to regulate transmission fluid line pressure. The PCM looks at TP sensor voltage, engine RPM and other inputs to determine the line pressure appropriate for a given load, then regulates the pressure by applying a varying amperage to the pressure control solenoid. The applied amperage can vary from 0.1 to 1.1 amp. The PCM then monitors the amperage at the pressure control solenoid low line and if the low line amperage varies more than 0.16 amp from the commanded amperage for a duration of about 1 second, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 73 is set. Once DTC 73 is set, the pressure control solenoid is disabled and full line pressure will be applied until the next time the ignition key is cycled. If upon restart, the current error does not exist, DTC 73 will remain stored but the pressure control solenoid will resume normal function.

Last edited:

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Might help
file.php

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks BlackVXGTS I was just going to replace both Shift Control Solenoids while the pan was off.
Should only need the PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID.

Thanks Nigel

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was replaced on the 13th and service all good till 23/11 now it is back :(

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
here's the DTC below from a search, if you have a spare TPS it may be worth a try, otherwise id check the harness connector on the gearbox, pull it off and back on, also do the same on the ECU. Also looking at the wiring diagram pins E14 & E15 are solenoid wires, id unplug the ECU and use a multimeter to check the resistance on that end, will help you ID if wiring is the issue, if wiring is ok it should read 3.5-4.8 ohms at 20 degrees C.

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12

DTC 73:
PRESSURE CONTROL SOLENOID (CURRENT ERROR)

The pressure control solenoid is a PCM controlled device used to regulate transmission fluid line pressure. The PCM looks at TP sensor voltage, engine RPM and other inputs to determine the line pressure appropriate for a given load, then regulates the pressure by applying a varying amperage to the pressure control solenoid. The applied amperage can vary from 0.1 to 1.1 amp. The PCM then monitors the amperage at the pressure control solenoid low line and if the low line amperage varies more than 0.16 amp from the commanded amperage for a duration of about 1 second, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 73 is set. Once DTC 73 is set, the pressure control solenoid is disabled and full line pressure will be applied until the next time the ignition key is cycled. If upon restart, the current error does not exist, DTC 73 will remain stored but the pressure control solenoid will resume normal function.

Test Description: Number(s) below refer to step number(s) on the diagnostic chart.
2. This procedure verifies an amperage difference of more than 0.16 amp between the actual pressure control solenoid current and the desired pressure control solenoid current, the PCM's ability to control amperage to the pressure control solenoid.
3. This part of the test checks the pressure control solenoid for internal shorts and integrity.

Diagnostic Aids:
Check for poor connections at PCM and especially at the transmission pass-thru connector.
Pressure control solenoid resistance should be between 3.5-4.8 ohms at 20 degrees C.
When Diagnostic Trouble Code 73 is set, the transmission will have harsh shifts and maximum line pressure.
The PCM controls the pressure control solenoid by commanding current between 0 and 1.1 amps. 1.1 amps corresponds to minimum line pressure, and 0 amps is maximum line pressure (if solenoid loses power, transmission will still have maximum line pressure).

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got a new TPS about a week ago and everything seems to be good.
So Nigel without testing anything could the tps been at fault and the pressure control solenoid been ok and not needed replacing?
(too late now I know)