Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

indicator stalk

J

junglepatrol

i was just wondering if anyone had any experience in replacing the indicator stalk. My indicator is not returning when turning left and i need to replace it. holden has quoted me at $280 and i was wondering how easy it is to do?

thanks

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
pretty basic job ill' write it out for you

basically just take the cover off the steering colum, then pull back the rubber on the indicator arm, then depress the clips, pull out slowly then disconnect the wiring, put new one in and put it all back together and it should all work ok after that.,

mixin

Ol' fart, young heart!
Reaction score
It's probably not the stalk. On the back of the steering wheel, held on with 3 screws is the blinker return/horn ring. 99.9% of all VR/VS blinker cancel probs I have solved have been the black plastic tab on the horn ring that triggers the blinker to turn of has been worn or rounded on the corners & won't click the blinker off.

When you remove the wheel, have a look to see if the pllastic leg is sticking out from the wand - this is what the horn ring tab clips on it's way past to turn off the blinker. If that little white leg is still there & functioning, then it is definately the horn ring.

For non-airbag cars - with the 3 spoke steering wheel, the part number is VS21140 and it's about $14 from holden (trade)

For the 4 spoke wheel, it's part number VS20593, and it's $15.50 trade.

If your car has an airbag, then it's the entire clock sping assembly, and it's p/n 92044668, and it's just over $100 trade.....

The same thing goes for VS, but the non airbag cars use the 4 spoke wheel only, so it's p/n VS20593.
Airbag VS models have 2 types. Up to the end of 10/95 is the same as VR, then the later ones got p/n 92052663 - same price as the VR version.

J

junglepatrol

thanks for that, i will have a look at it and get back to you

pr855

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
VScancelcamhornring_zpsb1e8f653.png

here is a photo of the VS20593 canceling cam / horn ring combo that fits onto the back of the steering wheel & returns the indicator switch to the off position

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Don't pay holden to do it. I brought one off ebay for about $40 (with cruise control) brand new and it took 20 mins to replace and I'd never done it before. Only struggle is I didn't think to pull the adjustable steering wheel out towards me until I was nearly done which made it quite fiddly. If I had my time over it's a 5 minute job

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Yay. 9 year old thread dig!

pr855

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
VS20593 self cancel cam

HoldenSelfCancelVS20593sml_zps3f26abaa.jpg

here is a better photo showing the intact cam on the replacement unit.

I tried to buy one one these units from Holden, was told already on back order for three months, no idea when they would be back in stock again.
This was at Eagers Holden central parts warehouse at Newstead in Qld

Retail Price is $16.98 from Holden, I went online and found one that was for sale in WA for the bargain price of $42 posted.
Some one sure knows they are scarce ATM.

The spare parts box is marked description: Cam Canc ST/WHL

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
mate get the point, your info is invalid due to the thread being older than you. learn to read the dates on threads before throwing useless info out.