Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oh no, into reverse

J

jessedevery1

i let my frieind drive my 94 auto VR ok, and we goin along bout 80 and he trys to put it from drive to nuetral for some god reason, and he accidently put it into reverse, it locked up and we skid all over the road and it stalled.......no aside from the obvios that its bad for the car.....wot would it had done to engine/transmission....like would it of actually gone into the reverse gear and tried to go backwards or would it have realised we were goin to fast and just stalled it? or sumthing....ne ideas?

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
No the gearbox has a soleniod (sp??) designed to stall if the tranny is put into R or P when moving forwards.
No damage would be done, just don't let your mate drive it again.

Cheers
Paul.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
After an effort like that, your mate most definitely should drive ya car again. :eek:
To be on the safe side. :)

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
he put it into reverse in, an auto, while driving?

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Thats a solidly stupid effort. Did Neutral and the need to lift ye old handle to move the stick really not give him a clue??

I think a certain assosiation for the prevention to cruelty to cars should be notified.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
ill be informin the society on this one for sure,

the vr does infact have a solenoid that prevents the car from physicaly going into reverse, that it does, it' slockes the torque conveter, so it wont spin, this inturn lockes the rest of the gearbag, and tailshaft, and diff, if any dammage would have been done, it would be on the tailshaft (uni's) and the diff, could have **** it's self, as in, chewed up it's teeth, other than that, slap yoru mate with a dead fish, cause seriously, that's a very very stuip thing, they arnt ment to be driving like manuals, you put it in drive, and dont change it, :b:

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
omg is he stupid, got any new rattles in the tail shaft?

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold for scrap :(
hahhahaa

I had a mate do that in his VP but we left the diff at the other end of the street, and my other mate tried to get me to do it in my VR Calais, I just laughed and told him if he wanted to **** a car, to go **** his Ford XD.(rust bucket)

BTW, the mate with the VP drives it like a manual, 1, 2, D, and drops it down gears too, like into first, wot are the effects of this, as I had to drive my VR like that for a while, while my power steering was stuff to get it to work the revs had to be at least 3, 4 grand (don't worry fixed now) and I would drop it down, I have stopped now, but do you think it would have done much, I was driving it like this 4 about 3 months, pretty hard too

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
The manual for my VS Calais actually suggests using the gears to slow down.. I've tried it a few times in mine, especially on steep down hills, and it definitly works well, and seems to like it .. (unlike my old VL auto, which did not like it, at all!)