Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing centre bearing

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i've dropped the tailshaft, removed the 6 hex bolts, but how to u seperate the 2 tailshafts to get the the bearing? :bang:

which part seperates from where the second half of the tailshaft pivots?

any guru's please help

[EDIT] are the 2 end yokes meant to be lined up? or should it just go back the way it was.. there is a slight vibration, and was told that the ends are meant to line up (if that makes sense)

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
normally a couple taps with a hammer seperates the rear shaft from the C.V. joint when the bolts are removed. make sure you mark everything so it goes back together the right way. from memory the uni's at each end should be in the same orientation. when putting it back together make sure you use a little locktite on the 6 bolts holding the 2 halves together cause you don't want these coming loose

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Even mark the spline position too, putting it all back together only to find it vibrates is a real prick.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
thanks guys

its all marked, the reason why i asked is becoz the yokes arent in the same orientation, so i'll try it yokes lined up, take it for a strap, see if its better or worse, then posibly put it back lined up the way it was if its worse.. keep you posted.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
[EDIT] are the 2 end yokes meant to be lined up? or should it just go back the way it was.. there is a slight vibration, and was told that the ends are meant to line up (if that makes sense)

if you mean "are the uni's on each end suppose to line up" from memory i think they are suppose to be. what hako has linked to below i believe has to do with pinion angles. does the driveshaft look like it's been apart before? changing the orientation of the universals to each other will efect balance

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
guys thankyou for all your input, put it together finally, with both the yokes at the same orientation, took it for a strap, and no vibration!!

what a releif. :bow:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
excellent, nice to hear a good result

WZCOOK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III utility
My bearings screwed also!

excellent, nice to hear a good result

Would be sick if i could grab a contact off someone who has done it before i have to do it this weekend and would love some support