Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cleaning oxygen sensor vs v6 ?

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
hi guys was just wondering if u can pull the oxy sensor out and give it a clean and is there 1 or 2 on a vs and they r down on the exhaust from inside the engine bay ? i would expect that after alot of km s they get a bit of build up on them cheers muz

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Well you can clean them, not sure it will help much.

Generally a VS will ahve 2 yes, the passenger side one can be accessed from the engine bay quite easily, while the drivers side one is accessed from under the car, they are on the Y pipe before the Cat converter.

Oxy sensors generally will either be working, or not working, if your car has run rich for a while maybe cleaning them will help but I doubt it, one thing, is your car chucking out any error codes?

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Cleaning the Oxygen Sensor will have little to no affect. If you are going to clean it, the workshop manuals say to not use any cleaning solvents on the Oxygen Sensor.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Oxy sensors generally will either be working, or not working, if your car has run rich for a while maybe cleaning them will help but I doubt it, one thing, is your car chucking out any error codes?

They can also gradually deteriorate, become slow. Im not sure whether thats when they are cold or hot or doesnt matter. "slow" from what I can make out refers to its change in output not reacting quickly to changes in oxygen level.

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
To clean/fix a oxygen sensor you must soak it in lemon juice for at least two days, then spray with water (prefably high pressure) . No seriously, i was told this by a mechanic and have done it myself. It really works.:thumbsup:

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Did that to mine early this year, did not notice any difference. Fuel economy remained the same as before the clean.

I think I wasted time cleaning it. You are better off getting new ones if its stuffed, otherwise don't bother.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I didnt think that it would do anything, I wont bother wasting my time cleaning mine then.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
An O2 sensor either works or it doesn't. Cleaning has no effect. The bit you see isn't the actual sensor anyway, all it does is create an even exhaust flow around the ceramic sensor inside.