Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sprucing up the faded parts

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ok so this thread will be where I post my HOWTO on cleaning up and sprucing up those faded areas on the commodore. common ones are the black exterior trim around the rear windows which tends to go crap, I have done a prt of one and it looks mint (Brand new) so i'll finish the job with some pictures and post a how to.

Also the trim which runs down the side (Speed stripe type thingo) the chrome on mine has gone all crap so ive scraped the plastic layers off, sanded it, cleaned it and resprayed so far so good, just waiting for it to dry for a light sand another coat and then the clear.

Let me know any other areas you know of and i'll have a look. i'll keep you all posted.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
It sounds like it will be a really good How To, I cant wait to fix the faded black trim around the rear windows :p

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
:thumbsup:lmao me too sound's good looking forward

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
This would be awesome because my rear window trimmings have all paint gone and its all rough.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
ok so far here is where I am at.

The chrome strips down the side of the car tend to fade as the clear layer of plastic starts to seperate and bubble in places so here is how I am so far fixing mine, it is rather simple to be honest. (pictures and a revised howto are comming)

first thing is first you need to remove that clear layer of plastic so start peeling it off, this can be a rather tedious task but keep at it, next get some 180 grit sandpaper and sand off the silver plastic layer (sand off whatever does not simply peel off, get into the grooves top and bottom too.

after all of the sanding and peeling you should be left with a grey/white strip of plastic, get your 180 grit and lightly sand that back untill it looks nice and smooth, then change over to 400 grit wet and dry and give it a quick rub down with that.

Clean the strip up with some K&H Wax and Grease remover (metho will work as well) wax on wax off action will work well, applying with one rag and wipe it all down witha clean dry rag.

Carefully tape the area off, you will need to get the tape in between the groove of the black rubber and the cleaned plastic bit, some patience and a scraper to push the tap in will be needed, I used to be a painter myself, so masking things up seems easier for me I guess.

You will need to mask top and bottom, being sure to fit snugly into those grooves, mask either end as well, common sense applies here, any gaps or holes will let paint through.

Now get some newspaper and tape the newpaper sheets around the masked area covering everything (The pictures will help more when they come)

Now I cant hold the spray can for you but nice steady even strokes will help, I advise to practice on the ground or something else first, the best way would be to start at one end, about 12 inches away and move across all the way to the other end, do this a few times untill the paint looks even.

I used VHT Chrome Plate paint, once applied leave it for 8 hours at least, the best bet is to leave it untill the next day as I found out the hard way it will be nice and hard on top, but a touch moist underneath.

The next day if you think another coat would be needed, then use the 400 grit and give it a light rub, another clean up with the wax and grease remover and another coat of the chrome paint, leave again untill the next day.

Once completly dry get your can of clear coat spray paint, and give a nice even coat or two, let dry for an hour or so (in the sun is good) and give another coat.

Repeat all the way around the car untill happy with the result. I myself will be going all the way around the rest of my car (I have only done one section as a test thus far) in a few days.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
ok so far here is where I am at.

The chrome strips down the side of the car tend to fade as the clear layer of plastic starts to seperate and bubble in places so here is how I am so far fixing mine, it is rather simple to be honest. (pictures and a revised howto are comming)

first thing is first you need to remove that clear layer of plastic so start peeling it off, this can be a rather tedious task but keep at it, next get some 180 grit sandpaper and sand off the silver plastic layer (sand off whatever does not simply peel off, get into the grooves top and bottom too.

after all of the sanding and peeling you should be left with a grey/white strip of plastic, get your 180 grit and lightly sand that back untill it looks nice and smooth, then change over to 400 grit wet and dry and give it a quick rub down with that.

Clean the strip up with some K&H Wax and Grease remover (metho will work as well) wax on wax off action will work well, applying with one rag and wipe it all down witha clean dry rag.

Carefully tape the area off, you will need to get the tape in between the groove of the black rubber and the cleaned plastic bit, some patience and a scraper to push the tap in will be needed, I used to be a painter myself, so masking things up seems easier for me I guess.

You will need to mask top and bottom, being sure to fit snugly into those grooves, mask either end as well, common sense applies here, any gaps or holes will let paint through.

Now get some newspaper and tape the newpaper sheets around the masked area covering everything (The pictures will help more when they come)

Now I cant hold the spray can for you but nice steady even strokes will help, I advise to practice on the ground or something else first, the best way would be to start at one end, about 12 inches away and move across all the way to the other end, do this a few times untill the paint looks even.

I used VHT Chrome Plate paint, once applied leave it for 8 hours at least, the best bet is to leave it untill the next day as I found out the hard way it will be nice and hard on top, but a touch moist underneath.

The next day if you think another coat would be needed, then use the 400 grit and give it a light rub, another clean up with the wax and grease remover and another coat of the chrome paint, leave again untill the next day.

Once completly dry get your can of clear coat spray paint, and give a nice even coat or two, let dry for an hour or so (in the sun is good) and give another coat.

Repeat all the way around the car untill happy with the result. I myself will be going all the way around the rest of my car (I have only done one section as a test thus far) in a few days.
Its a Very Good writeup as is :thumbsup:, it seems easy enough, now all I have to do is find somewhere round here that sells chrome paint (will be harder than you think, stupid country town). I would leave you some positive rep but it wont let me :ranting:

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
i got myne from autobarn, got any craft stores out your way?

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
in the long run i'd say it's cheaper then the new strips, when you look at pulling it all off, cleaning it up, gluing them down.

$15 for the chrome paint $15 for the clear, sandpaper gradn total I spent like $3 and I allready ahd the K&H wax and grease remover, and so should all of you, in fact I allready ahd the clear, I just remember the price. but if your going for budget clean everything with metho, works just as well for little jobs.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
i got myne from autobarn, got any craft stores out your way?

Nah the only craft store closed a couple of months ago. Autopro, the only automotive store don't have any and neither does our little Big W. I might try a hardware store but I don't like my luck. If I cant find it anywhere Ill just get it next time im in Adelaide.

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
that's strange autopro in my lil country town stock it im sure they could order some in