Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT pretensioner seat belts into VS??

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Been looking @ the ancap safety reviews and The VS did poorly, when i came to its seat belts:( The VT however was fitted with Pretensioner seat belts, wich are far superior, and held up alot better in the ancap crash test,s ect so i want to know if its just a simple mod of swapping out a set from someone wrecking a VT?
Heres a link 2 the ancap results as well as what a pretensioner system is:
ANCAP - Holden Commodore VT 9/97-9/2000 - NRMA Motoring & Services
ANCAP - Holden Commodore VS 4/1995-8/1997 - NRMA Motoring & Services
Pretensioner system - Patent 5127671

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Hi cxcxcxvcvcvc,

Im not much help to you as I dont have a good answer, but at the very least Im sure you would need an engineers certification on the modification (which would cost you). Obviously if they didnt work properly (either because the job wasnt done properly or the modification wasnt suitable) and you were involved in a crash you could effectively have no protection at all. Good idea though, hope someone else can give you some more info on this. Maybe check with your state transport department if you can do this, I know the laws on seat belts are pretty tight.

Im not sure how the pretensioners in the VT work, but just doing a bit of research there are three types; mechanical, electrical and pyrotechnical. The electrical and pyrotechnical both need a source of power and sensors to detect a crash. Obviously this would involve much more than just removing one seat belt and fitting another.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I love it when I see people decide to direct modding time towards saftey.

Spot on and good luck.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I love it when I see people decide to direct modding time towards saftey.

Spot on and good luck.

cheers for the info mate:thumbsup:
Yeah its a shame how so many people will go out and blow thousands on stereo gear and rims, interior ect and not spend a cent on where it counts like safety upgrades, brakes suspension tyres ect! When i read the review on the VS above it seems the thing that let it down the most was the seat belts, and lack of drivers airbag as standard! My calais has dual airbags wich is good but i really wouldn't mind getting the VT items installed to improve things! I might go to a wreckers and have a look @ the VT seat belts in the front to see if they have any wires connected to them! If they don't then i would say the design is mechanical and i might be able to buy a set new from holden to install on the VS! i will give QLD DOT a call tommorow and get onto their engineer/modification department to see if the car will require an engineers cert or if i can do it without it:)

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
sounds like a good idea, if you happen to figure it out, we'd all love to hear it.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Well got onto QLD dot today and they gave me the number of their approved engineers ect newayz gave him a yell and he said that to his knowledge (99% sure) that all pretensioner seat belts are electronic, and the only way i could do the mod is if my VS has the electric cables in place from factory! but what he said to do was, go to the wreckers and pull of a panel and check the VT seat belt setup out, then do the same with my car and see if they are compatible, if they are and all bolts up well, then he said he will mod plate it for me!! So will check the Vt setup out tommoz as im heading that way! Will keep things up to post!!

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
good progress mate, I always look forward to your mods, so much research and so little headaches, makes it easier for us little guys :p

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
good progress mate, I always look forward to your mods, so much research and so little headaches, makes it easier for us little guys :p

Cheers mate:thumbsup:
Well when it comes to my car i am always trying to figure out new ways and challenges of doing things that reap good results and gives my car its own unique personalty/feeling ect I have a few other little mods im working on for the future, will see how they turn out, and if all goes well then i will post them up aswell:)
im actually thinking of a way to revise my VT light switch upgrade to make it easier for other people to do as im sure i could have done it easier, but it will have to wait untill i can get round 2 it:p

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I think what puts people off the VT switch upgrade is cutting the dash facia.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I think what puts people off the VT switch upgrade is cutting the dash facia.

Yeah it is a downside to it, but its necessary to fit it up nice and neat ect. Well i went 2 the wreckers today and pulled out a VX Seatbelt setup (had dual airbags) and pulled out a VS one wich was right next 2 it, and they look identicle with no wires attached 2 either anywhere!! Wich means either the VT/VX ones have mechanically operated pretensioners or the VR/VS/VT/VX seatbelts are the same wich would then mean that ancap report is not right:confused: I would have to guess that the VT onwards have mechanically operated pretensioner system,s inside but just look the same as the VR/VS item on the outside ect and also they (from what i seen today) are a a straight forward bolt up mod! The inner housing for the VT seatbelt and the VS are identicle meaning you should be able to pull out your VS seatbelt and bolt the VT item straight in:)