Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How low can you go? (fuel economy)

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I have been getting 16ltrs per/100klms around town with the ecotec, and haveing heard that most V8,s will better that, i have been wondering how low i can get my ecotec fuel economy figures to drop! i know there,s been threads on what kind of fuel figures everyones getting as most seem 2 be getting poor economy from the old V6 ect, But this thread is about seeing how low people can get there V6 fuel figures to drop by trying to improve driving habbits ect, I started to really drive like a fuel guage nazi on the way 2 picking the missus up and have already dropped my figure,s to 14.5 around town! i would like to see this drop even more, and have stuck to a regime of trying to drive the car a little lighter off the lights and coasting more! I have found a few key points that have helped me to acheive better economy, (No1) Is i try to not let the car get much over 2-3grand on the taco and yes this will make you want to pull the wheel off or get out and run faster but the more you do this the more you will save;) also (No2)when the car gets up 2 speed then let the throttle off completely and only very gently touch the throttle, the car should cost along with out much effort! anyway if anyone else has some fuel saving/driving tips throw em up, and lets see how low you can go:)

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Mine usually sits around 15.7 - 15.8ltrs / 100kms around town.

304, tuned, K&N panel filter, 3" zorst on economy mode (i only use power mode when i want to give the engine a little bit to hold the revs out a bit more).

I don't drive like a grandma, but i don't drive it hard either. Every now and then i'll give it a bootful up to the speed limit then back it off.

But i average 15.7ltrs/100kms.

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
i remember a while ago a guy got 4ltr/100km

apparently he was using the slipstream of a truck for that 100km!

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Mine usually sits around 15.7 - 15.8ltrs / 100kms around town.

304, tuned, K&N panel filter, 3" zorst on economy mode (i only use power mode when i want to give the engine a little bit to hold the revs out a bit more).

I don't drive like a grandma, but i don't drive it hard either. Every now and then i'll give it a bootful up to the speed limit then back it off.

But i average 15.7ltrs/100kms.
yeah from what i have heard most of the 5ltrs are getting around the 15ltr mark! and i have been driving the V6 like driving miss daisy to get the figure i quoted above! The missus does not complain though:p I really do hate driving the car so slow as i usually like to get up 2 speed quickly, but if it does end up making a REAL difference saving on the economy then i might have to adjust my driving habbits! Should have got an 8 straight of the bat:(

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
I service my v6 every 5000kms, plugs, oil filter, oil, and only run 98RON bp petrol. When i drive it and have fun say changing at 3500-4000 in 1st and 2nd everytime i take off in the city i get about 12.5-13L/100. L8ly iv been babying it nothing over 2000rpm and i did 610kms this week anf it took 62L at the pump.

The service every 5000 helps alot as does weekly tyre pressure checks and premium petrol is the key to good milage

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I don't know why your economy is so high CX, I get 8 - 9.8 on the highway and usually 10 - 13 around town.

I guess it will vary between cars and setups.

Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr ute
500k's out of 50 litres in the vr ute. so yeah *counting fingers* umm, thats like 10k's a litre or 10 litres per 100 k's on rulp.. as far as i know mods are headers, 2.5 cat back and a bigger hole cut out of the airbox. havent taken the rocker covers off or checked for anything else really. next is a hi-flo filter and cai.

Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr ute
oh yeah, i live out of town, so most trips are something like 7 k's into town, drive around then 7 k's back out.

MagiTEK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S
14.. Thats a high for a 6.

My ecotec sits between 10 and 11. I definitely don't drive it like a eco-hippie either.

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
lol i went through $100 of fuel ($1.57 per litre at the pump) got me 280km