Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change passenger engine mount V8

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
This is a short story of how to change your passenger side engine mount as this is the one that normally breaks due to the way the engine twists when you give it a bit of stick. I may eventually do the driver side but it was hard enough to do on the passenger side without an A/C in the way and the ABS ontop too, and its not broken at the moment anyway. I know its not particulary hard but i thought id write this up anywayz as my haynes manual had about 4 lines of text, which was less than helpful.

You will need a 3/8 imperial socket set, an imperial spanner set, jack, new engine mount and maybe a hammer.

1. Run your car up on ramps or stands and chock your rear wheels well.

2. Have a look from up top and you'll see a bracket on your engine mount holding a hose up. Loosen that nut and the bracket slides out from underneath it.

3. You need to jack the engine up to take the weight off the engine mount. I did this by placing a peice of timber on my jack and jacking under the sump. BE VERY CARFUL YOU CAN VERY EASILY CAVE IN YOUR SUMP. The car will lift for a bit then you will start to see the weight come off the mount. Mine was completely broken so you could see it start to seperate. Once you get to this point stop.

4. Now get underneath and have a look (see pic), you'll see the engine mount sandwhiched between the "K" frame and the bracket thats bolted to the block. To get the engine mount out, you need to take the bracket thats bolted to the block and the mount out together.

5. You need (see pic) to undo 2 bolts on the bottom, then 1 up the top on the bracket bolted to the block, plus the "through bolt" in the mount.
Start with the bolt on the bottom closest to the starter motor as its the hardest one. For this one i used a short handled spanner and had the handle pointed towards the starter motor, as its about the only place you can get some room to swing on the spanner for this bolt. The other bottom bolt i just used a socket, and the top bolt i used a spanner from the top side.

6. Now you've got all the bolts out, you need to get it outta there. The best way i can explain it to you, is to slide the whole assembly up(you may need an extra pump on the jack) till the mount is clear of the K frame, then slide it back towards the starter motor, then down and out the bottom. If its in 2 peices like mine, it will just fall out anyway. Just remember this for when your sliding the new one in.

7. Now undo the 2 nuts holding the mount to the bracket and bolt the new one on to it and begin sliding it back in, the opposite way as described above.
I couldnt line the holes back up in the block, as my mount was slightly out and sat scewed on the K frame, so i had to pull mine back out and bend the wings where it sits on the K frame out a bit with a few taps of the bashometer.:p

Well, the results are all good. Theres no thud now when i change gears at high rpm and the extractors have stopped rubbing under the passenger footwell:D
Any comments, different ways you would have done it appreciated, and advice on doing the drivers side would be helpfull too, it looks like a nightmare.

Last edited:

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
This is a great how to, but I would love to know if this can be achieved with a V6 also, I imagine it would be being that they use the same mounting areas for both types of engine...
Also did you run into any problems by having to do this by yourself?
What kinds of problems would you likely notice if these engine mounts are truely stuffed and you kept running with them?
thanks mate

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
One issue was finding the right spot to get your spanner on one of the bolts as it is a bit tight for that one bolt but i put that in the OP in step 5. If you have a decent spanner set and a jack then thats all you really need. That jack i used is $40 from autobarn.

The only other very minor issue i had was the bit where the bolt goes through the mount onto the K frame was slightly askew and all i had to do was drop the mount out quickly and bend it very slightly with a tap of the hammer and was all good.
You cant see in the picks but i had the front end up on ramps to give me more room under there and i had the jack up on some timber to get the reach the jack needed.

The main reason i canged it it because the extractors were rubbing under the car because the engine actually lifts off that mount when its broken and it slaps back down when you push the clutch in and with that made for rough gear changes aswell. So i dont think there is any short term problems it will cause but in time it may cause the exhaust to split. But people have been known to drive for years with broken engine mounts. Cheers mate

Last edited:

TUF UTE

Dave
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SENATOR
i got a broken passenger mount on my 304, gotta change it this week if i can be ****ed lol. good write up mate. top effort

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Its a little while since i wrote this up but i think i only paid $35 for the pair of mounts off ebay. I only used one though. But i think they are the same so the other is just a spare for when the passenger one brakes again.

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
I should also have mentioned this is a great write up, I have searched and searched this fourm in need of heaps of detailed info about replacing engine mounts in my v6, and of course as we all know lots of research leads to less problems... But that being said, there have been very few threads that go into this kind of detail for replacing engine mounts...
So again cheers for the info mate, it's much appreciated :thumbsup: