Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to change rear shocks (wagon)

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
This is dead easy and i did both my rear shocks in less than an hour. You'll need a spanner set, jack and a socket set for conveniance if you got it. This is for a wagon, but i dont think this process differes much for the live axle sedans, so it might be of use there too.

1. Chock your front wheels well.

2. Lift up the flooring in the back of the car and you'll see 2 grey covers with 2 screws holding them on. Take them off to reveal the nuts underneath holding the Top of the shock in. Undo the nut(you'll need 2 spanners, 1 to hold the flat on the top of the thread and a second to undo the nut on the thread. You'll understand when you see it, very easy.) and pull out the 2 washers and rubber. Take note of their order.

<Not sure why this isnt working, But if you click the X it still seems to work.....Odd!

3. Place the jack under the axle on one side and lift it only a little bit, just to give you some room to work under there, i didnt even lift the wheel off the ground.

4. Now losen the nut holding the bottom of he shock on and pull it straight off. If its a little stuck put your spanner behind it to lever it a little. Take note which way the washer goes on. The shock will just fall out now.

5. Have a look at all the old rubber washers and replace as nessacary, install is the reverse of removal. When tightening the nuts back up, be sure that they are firm, but do not overtighten them, as you will only crush the rubber washers and split them.

All done and didnt take as long as you thought. So more beer time:D. Any comments on whats different for sedans would be good to make this a little more universal thread.

Last edited:

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
? testing???

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Just the information I needed. Thanks.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
Couldn't get the bottom nut off, any ideas how you guys removed it? There doesn't seem to be enough clearance to get a breaker bar

vs-v8-ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
this is exactly the same in the utes to

vs-v8-ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
if you cant get a breaker bar in there go down to super cheap or auto 1 and get yourself some freeze and release bes stuff in the world there is instructions on the can how to use it