Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 1994 Cuts out around corners

justin wong

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
Hi Everyone,

I have a 94 vr sedan and I have just put in a new fuel pump and fuel filter to fix an ongoing problem. But its not FIXED.

When i have less than half a tank and drive around any corner (at normal speed) the car seem sto lose all power for a few seconds (which causes other cars to get very close to my reaer end!!) then i am left madly pumping the pedal and in a few seconds the car springs back to life and continues on.

I thought that the fuel pump might be faulty so i replaced it- but still have the same problem - I also have really poor fuel mileage about 340k for a tank

I would appreciate any assistance or feed back

Thanks

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi Everyone,

I have a 94 vr sedan and I have just put in a new fuel pump and fuel filter to fix an ongoing problem. But its not FIXED.

When i have less than half a tank and drive around any corner (at normal speed) the car seem sto lose all power for a few seconds (which causes other cars to get very close to my reaer end!!) then i am left madly pumping the pedal and in a few seconds the car springs back to life and continues on.

I thought that the fuel pump might be faulty so i replaced it- but still have the same problem - I also have really poor fuel mileage about 340k for a tank

I would appreciate any assistance or feed back

Thanks

I'd be checking the connections on the battery, make sure they are clean, secure and tight. I'd be checking your oxygen sensors to make sure they are working correctly, as well as checking fuel pressure. Another sensor to check is the coolant temperature sensor, if this is giving a false reading the engine will be running too rich. Also check that your thermostat isn't stuck open; where does your temp gauge normally sit? Depending on the mileage your car has done it might be worth pulling the injectors out and getting them professionally cleaned too.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
pffft, nah, it'll just be fuel surge...

Have no idea how to fix it other than a surge tank setup.. its been covered on here before though, a few times... have a search around

aZk.

seannatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLe/VR Wagon
I have a VR wagon that was doing the samething i put it on the tech 1 and it had a Crank angle sensor fault so i changed it and its all good now. I would be checking that i had the same issues, car would just die and not start again with out pumping the accelerator and hoping it would fire. Make sure you disconnect the battery at the start of the job because i could be wrong but the bcm needs to be reset to read new sensor. I changed mine and it hadnt fixed it then disconnected the battery for 5 mins and it runs perfectly...

Hope this helps...

SICKTG

Reaction score
its probable the line off the fuel pump that feeds the swirl pot mine does the same thing when under half a tank except the line for my swirl pot is attached :cry:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
My mate's VR does this too. The baffles in the fuel tanks probably break :p

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Id say it would be that swirl pot line too, if not its a good one too look at anywayz. If its not on the fuel pump will starve around corners

justin wong

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
Hi Everyone,

Thaks for the comments. I now think that it will be the swirl pot or the line that connects it. Can the swirl pot be re-aligned wihtout the tank being removed or will i need to replace the whole tank and hope for the best.

Does anybody in Brissie have a vr or vs tank for sale?

Cheers

SICKTG

Reaction score
the line can be but back on but it has probably gone inside the tank and id say you will have to remove the tank to reconnect it

pungent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L
I had the exact problem only a few weeks ago in my VR , the only way I solved it was replaced the tank then it was perfect again.