Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knock/Play in Steering

dawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV
G'day, just tryin to pin point the cause of my steering faults, bit shady in this area so i dont really know where to start looking.

When the cars stationary, i quickly turn the steering wheel left, right and it knocks from down the end of the column, seems to have a bit of play. And the other thing is, when i go over bumps and onto driveways when the wheels hit the bump you can really feel the hit through the steering wheel as it jerks it say 5mm around when it hits. Also when im driving at any speed eg say over 60, when going through rough patches on the road, the steering wheel/column vibrates and bounces up an down, makes my keys jingle/rattle heaps. Ive also just replaced the strut tops, bearings, springs and bushes. New shocks are on the way this wkend.

It would be great if anyone could help me out and let me know whats shagged and needs replacing.

Thanks,
Dan.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
so you already replaced the Zbar and control arm bushes ?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
make sure the rack bolts are tight as on me VS i was getting some nice clunks bangs when turning wheel and driving over bumps.....drove me crazy and felt bad

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
When i got my rack replaced on my old VS,they told me it still has some play in it because the "knuckle joint" what he called it,was worn,he said it joins the steering shaft to the rack joint or something & was about $80 or $90 to buy.But because they had to order the part from melbourne & i was selling the car i didnt worry about it.

But i would defenitely replace it if your planning on keeping your car.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
hehe i still get that knock and my rack is new

dawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV
Yeah i didnt replace with Z bars though, just replaced the rubbers on the standard pin links. I think i did all but the control arms ill have a check this afternoon. Are the front control arms expensive like the rears?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd be checking my tierods and rack ends - jack up one front wheel and try to move the tyre side to side - there should be virtually no side play. If you get a clunk clunk noise or detect movement when moving the wheel then try to ascertain if the movement is coming fronm the tierod or the rackend (which is inside the rubber bellows/boot).

evo33

Reaction score
Website
www.webdivide.com.au
Members Ride
Commodore VR 1994
I have the same problem as dawg explained in his 1st post. I have replaced my front struts (complete kit), have replaced tails-shaft, have replaced power steering high pressure hose and still didn't solve the problem $1,500 later. My rack was under warranty and the faulty rack was leaking. Got a replacement rack and that's when the noise began. 5 mechanics couldn't diagnose the fault after been told a whole bunch of crap to replace other parts which didn't fix the fault. After finally getting around to getting another replacement rack from Australian Power Steering the fault stopped.
BUT!!!
I moved states, traveled 2,000kms and guess what? the clunking noise has began. The problem is that I get a clunk noise coming from the front and can feel it in the steering wheel and the floor of the car when I drive slowly over bumps and go up or down driveways. I have discovered that my power steering fluid in the reservoir tank is actually leaking out from the top. It's as if there the power steering fluid is not going through the power steering rack now as originally it was the right amount in the reservoir tank but now its close to the top of the lid and seems way way to much?

Does anyone know what the problem could be why I am getting these clunks of sound and the power steering fluid spilling out of the reservoir tank?