Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Series 1 & Series 2 Differences

Indy_387

Reaction score
Hey, I will be looking at buying a VT soon & was wondering what the differences between series 1 & series 2 were...?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Exterior differences are minor, For a stock car (no mods at all) series I will have Orange side indicators, and rears, series II will have both clear.

If a V8 model, Series II will always be a good ol 5L (my preferance) and the series II are all genIIIs. Theres also minor differences, like different front window rubbers (read on another forum, so no clue what differences).

Then you get into the Trim side of things, which would best be answer by someone who owns one.

Also wheels (well, hub caps) vary and i think some colours were scraped for the series II

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
IRS was changed a bit too because of tyre wear, its still pretty bad, but was recitified from the VXII.
As with all new body Commodores, try to stay away from early ones as they're usually pretty dodgy examples.

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
KE Laser Ghia 1.6 Carbie M5
Series II differences over Series I...

Gen III V8 (Series I had Holden 5-Litre V8)

Different wheels

Different interior trims

Front and rear indicator lenses were clear (Series I had orange)

Phantom Mica, Cinnabar Mica and Tiger Mica were new colours (Morocco Sand II Frost, Raven Mica, Valencia Red III Mica, Rubens Red Mica and Botanica Blue Mica were discontinued).

If I think of any more I'll post em.

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
Also, the VT Commodore Equipe only came out in Series I, the VT Commodore Olympic Edition and Calais International were Series II cars.

Torana

Young Einstein
Reaction score
Website
holdenworld.tt.cx
Members Ride
And you could only get the SS with the Supercharged V6 in the Series I.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Torana said:
And you could only get the SS with the Supercharged V6 in the Series I.
These are also very rare, as in i've only heard of a few. Would be a good buy to snap up an original one.

On a side not, a mate of miine, had the only factory VT Super6 with a 5 speed. now what you know, its who you know!

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
The biggest difference was about 80 kilos less weight

Redfox

Reaction score
Also, the VT S1 had a big hump in the front floor in both footwells. The S2 had a bit of filler under the carpet to make the whole floor flat so it seemed like there was no hump even though it was still under there.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Series II

Hey Indy

No Body mentioned the rear lights! :bang: Clear instead of the crappy orange, The Series II rubbers are better, trims are nicer and the seats are well still crap - map pocket on the series 1 lol :shutup:

Series II is always a better car and Holdens sort of fixed up most of the dramas they had with the IRS, Rubbers and so forth. I prefer the look of the Series II and a 2000 vt will always be better than a 97 vt series 1. 147kw v6 ecotec a much smother ride than our old vn buick v6. Vt's are a nice comfortable, good looking car and for ur 10 - 13k u can get a exec, acclaim, equipe,berlina, calais,s,ss,olympic edition..

Like the acclaim and s my self out of the six range - alot of feature for ur money and the acclaim a safe alterative, the s well ya get a bit of a kit and a nice lookin commodore that should treat u well if u maintain it.

Remember the 97 vts are already 8yrs old. Damn time flys :rofl:

Good Luck Budy and u wont regret getting a series II and the lighter doors will help u dragging and for ya arms :D . What colour u lookin into getting ? Auto tho im guessin and well Holdens built alot of VT's so u wont have a problem gettin a vt auto he he :wave: People ask like 2 -3k more for a manual vt.

Last edited: