Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering a VX

Ev0LuTioN

Unknown
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec. 2001
hey guys i have a VX commodore exec. did a bit of work to it - and i think its time to lower it :).

i was looking at super-low king springs which i got quoted on $400 including wheel allignment. At pedders i got quoted $692 including wheel allignment, but thats for their springs. The guy also said that the current shocks will hold, and that gettin only the springs would be enough, which i was happy about :).

now my question is, are super-low kings too low? am i gettin ripped off, any other suggestions please say cause i dont really know much about it :)

thx in advance.

(the pic in my sig aint my vx :p, if you's need pics i have them, just tell me :))

alex.

VT2VEight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Chev V8
I bought some king springs too for my VT but havent put them in yet. I opted to buy super lows for the back and lows for the front. This way the car should sit straight instead of leaning to the front. I thought it was be just a simple job of replacing the springs, but you have to put a camber kit on the back so that the wheels sit straight when you lower it. Apparently VT/X's have a problem that when you lower it, the wheels camber inwards and this could cause the tyres to rub against the arches. Although come to think about that,mine's got IRS so maybe that only applies to cars with IRS? The other thing was that i bought heavy duty bump stops for the struts. This way, the standard bump stops wont wear out as easy... I learnt that the hard way with my VS. But ask ur mehanic about this and see what he says.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Hmm are superlows too low? that is really up to the driver. We have superlows in our VT and it sits really nice but its not really practical. Have to exit steep driveways on an angle as not to rip bodykit off, and still manage to scrape, ave to slow down to crawling pace to go over speedhumps and sometimes still scrape. Have to be extremely careful when parking not to go too far forward and smack into the concrete thing. Thats the downside. The upside is obvious it lookks sweeeeeeet. I got some pics of our car here if u wanna have a dquiz at the ride height, just follow the link in my sig. Just note that our rear end sits a fraction lower than usual cos of all the stereo gear in the boot.

In the end its up to you to decide whats more important, practicality or looks, or maybe even compromise and go something a little higher.

Ev0LuTioN

Unknown
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec. 2001
now that is one sweet as ride u got there julie :) i love it

so u got super-lows on front and back ?, i was thinkin of goin like VT2 said, lows on the front and super-lows on the back. your back sits lower cause of the sterio which is amazing :).

i dont have a bodykit yet, but i will consider what you told me, thx alot

alex.

hindred

PUP
Reaction score
Members Ride
Green VY S
Ev0LuTioN said:
hey guys i have a VX commodore exec. did a bit of work to it - and i think its time to lower it :).

Let me know how you go dude. I have VT that will need to be lowered in the near future.

hindred

PUP
Reaction score
Members Ride
Green VY S
VT2VEight said:
Apparently VT/X's have a problem that when you lower it, the wheels camber inwards and this could cause the tyres to rub against the arches.

Pedders told me that a couple of months ago and from memory they quoted $1200.00 for the lot.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Ev0LuTioN said:
now that is one sweet as ride u got there julie :) i love it

so u got super-lows on front and back ?, i was thinkin of goin like VT2 said, lows on the front and super-lows on the back. your back sits lower cause of the sterio which is amazing :).

i dont have a bodykit yet, but i will consider what you told me, thx alot

alex.

Thanks 4 the kind words :) Superlows front and back, we did have to get a camber kit though to counteract the tyre wear, but in saying that we still had the same problem b4 the lower springs just with the fe2.

hindred

PUP
Reaction score
Members Ride
Green VY S
Julie said:
Thanks 4 the kind words :) Superlows front and back, we did have to get a camber kit though to counteract the tyre wear, but in saying that we still had the same problem b4 the lower springs just with the fe2.

Do you remember how much your camber kit was? Fitted?

V

VT_Mania

bargain

ive been quoted superlows all round, camber kits, wheel alignment and fitting all for $720 for my VT!

I think thats a bargain :yeah: