Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Differential noise??

jvp007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 S
When i am off the throttle and coasting .. eg. around a roundabout or corner, i get a "clunk" from the differential when i put my foot on the accelerator. Is this normal for a VX2 commodore? I got holden to replace the diff under warranty last year but the new one seems to still have this issue. I have asked the holden dealership about the new diff and they say it is normal for a VX or even a VY commodore to go "clunk" sometimes :yeah:

I heard (somewhere?) that you can change the oil in the diff to get rid of this problem. Is this true?

Thanks

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Is it a limited slip diff? if it is, be careful which lubricant you choose to put in your diff housing. As for the clunk noise, is it definitely coming from the diff?

jvp007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 S
It isnt a LSD. I am guessing it comes from the differential. This from what the Holden Dealership told me. They said that the differential will sometimes make a clunking noise when stepping on the accelerator from coasting.

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
depending where you live take it to a diff/tranny place and get them to tighten the backlash up. thus, will reduce the loudness of the "KA-LUNK" noise

:D