Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx V6 Auto With 3.46 Diff Gears

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
Had Mal Wood in Warick Qld (not the Brisbane suburb) put 3.46 diff gear's and LSD in the bum of my commodore and the way the car drives now is how holden should have sold them from the factory. Acceleration is now half decent, highway driving is a breeze, round town is soo much nicer (especially in the wet ).
Basically the car doesn't feel like so much of a slug anymore, fuel consumption is roughly as follows:-

before 100km/h 8ltrs per 100km
110km/h 10ltrs per 100km
120km/h 12.5ltrs per 100km

after 100km/h 7.5ltrs per 100km
110km/h 9.5ltrs per 100km
120km/h 12ltrs per 100km
125km/h 11.5ltrs per 100km

These figures are with the air con on and traveling on flat level road. Hard to believe that it's actually better than before. Hills aren't so much of a problem anymore, the car just climbs up nicely.

There are only 2 minor inconveniences that have arissen due to the change.
Number one, the cruise control will still sometimes go back to second when third would have been fine, number two, if i'm in drive, no power button on, the torque convertor will lock up top gear at about 65-68km/h, engine rev's drop to 1400rpm.
With the power button on the car drives as before with the power button off.

Gotta go, it's started raining again. Off to have some fun

gogoboygareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Exec
And the burning question for us VX Series II V6 owners... how much?

- Gareth

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Drive in drive out, he keeps your's, you get his, speedo recalibrated and all, for 3.46 gears with LSD (everything is brand new too, gears, LSD, bearings, the lot) $1315.

If you want 3.73 gears the price should be $1715 drive away.

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
im tempted......im tempted ....
will this effect my insurance at all ?.....being 17 and on rating 6 with RACQ will they allow me to have an LSD ?

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not 100% sure on that one, if it's factory fitted they usually don't worry too much.
The other option is just not to tell them about it, the chances of them finding out about it are slim, even if they look straight at the diff they probably wouldn't know what they were looking at.
Give em a call and tell them your thinking of putting a factory LSD in for safety, don't tell em about the gears, and see what they say.

235rwkw

Reaction score
unless they arefactory diffs with the sticker on them, you can tell from the number.

your change points are effected due to the computer not having the correct ratio set in it. Dealers and some shops cannot udate the computer, they only update the dash with tech 2 so the speedo reads right. the computer has not been changed so the shift points will be wrong.

u need to find a shop that can update the pcm with the new ratio to fix that. ask the guy who fitted them if he only updated the dash/speedo ppk settings. i bet thats all. the shop will need pcm tuning software to be able to do it.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
235rwkw is on the money, next on the list is revised shift points, you should shift kit it while your there to reap the full benefits of the new ratio.

Sounds like a reasonable mod and fairly cheap for a drive in drive out ratio change and new LSD. Could be the beginnings of a quick VX V6

Cheers

Jake

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
The shift point's in the gearbox don't really worry me all that much, it's not as big an inconvenience as some of you might think, at least not for me anyway. I'm just happy with hows well everything works, and even happier with the extra driveability.

235rwkw

Reaction score
not sure where you are but it quick to fix, probably cost about $30 to update the pcm which will correct the shift points. you only need that change, unless you want the computer totally retuned at the same time.