Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ignition barrel help

boddyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
My ignition decided to screw me over the other day and i found out that the shaft on the barrel had snapped. I can still start the car but its a pain. I was wondering do i need to buy a whole new barrel or can i buy just the shaft. If i need a new barrel how much does one cost, brand new or second hand, and is it easy to install myself?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Cheers.

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
The wreckers will have something. The best thing is to go pull one out of a wrecked VT. That way you'll know how to take it apart (and in return, how to put it back together) and they wouldn't be that expensive definitely under $100.

The only thing is to be really careful when taking the airbag out.

boddyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
If i get Holden to do it for me will they have to change the key, then as a result have to reprogram the central locking?

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
mate happened to me a few weeks ago. Call a lock smith they normally carry the barrels on them + you need on to have the barrel re keyed (the pins lined up). For me i went to holden to get another barrel cost me like $45 and went to a locksmith cost me $25 (took him like 5 mins). Installed myself wasn't that hard...... You do not need to take the steering wheel out or anything. there is no reprogramming of the key anyway. mate if you dont know what your doing call a lock smith will take hime half an hour at the most + he will have the part on him

boddyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
ahk cheers, so locksmith > holden?

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
i went to holden to get a new key and then thay found that the barrel was stuffed then the vbill $ 350.00 thank you:wax::wax::whistling

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
I went to holden spare parts (See below). Pulled the old one out myself.... wans't hard took 5 mins. went to a locksmith took him 5 mins to re-align cost $25

I also wan't to replace the switch as it was looking a bit sad.....

CCF06102009_00000Large.jpg

nutta79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore 2000
help how to replace ignition barell

just bought new one, cant get it back in please help someone